Black Wisteria

Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi. I am fairly new to this site. I have this same wisteria here in GA. Mine looses its leaves but comes back every spring. I have about 20 seed pods forming on it right now. I was going to pull them off. If there is an interest in they by some of yu, I will let them mature. Just let me know.Have a great evening.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

By all means, nurse them baby seeds along! And let us know the progress, please!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I know I can find something to trade you for some seeds .

PPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
am I sounding needy?
Is it working?

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine has had the same seed pods on it since July - they take really LONG to ripen on the vine and the pods are still green as ever....

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Patience is a virtue...........LOL
Dee

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, my patience has run out on this guy....lol....

Dripping Springs, TX

Patience is torture---- when your waiting for plant too bloom or seed pods to mature. Sometimes the wisteria shows up at our HD--maybe at yours too everybody.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

...anyone willing to give me some pointers on rooting cuttings?

Dripping Springs, TX

Ok Moonlighting--Dip fresh soft tip cuttings in a mix of liquid seaweed and rooting hormone. Place cuttings in soil in small (4") container-- mist and place the hole thing in a opaque plastic bag. Make a tent out of the plastic bag. Place in warm area--- not in sun light. Bottom heat is the best. That's the best I can do right now.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Enclose the pods with a foot from a lady's nylon hose and secure it with a twist tie and let them dry naturally. No pests can get to them, but the air can, so when they are dry, the seeds will drop into the toe of the sock.

Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

No problem, I will watch the seed pods and see how they do before frost. As far as rooting, I was wondering if air layering would work? My plant is twice as tall as I want it this year. Does anyone think it would work to trim some of the bark off and wrap with lots of spaghnum moss and saran wrap? It should make a GREAT "trading plant" if it works! Input is welcome. Thanks everyone.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

It's worth a try, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info desert_rose - I think I will give it a try this week.....

Kay - I love your idea!....and so very easy too! - no more MIA pods!....lol....

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

How did the attempt at rooting go? Chainsaw, did you try it? Did you get lots of seed pods on yours? I know moonlighting had a few.....

Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

My seed pods all fell off. I am going to try air layering with a prescription bottle trick I saw on another forum for figs. Looks really simple to do. If it works I should have a few new plants. I transplanted one of the two plants I have during the hottest part of August last year. It appeared that half the plant just cooked right up. It is coming back now just as pretty as ever!

Robstown, TX(Zone 9a)

Behind my mom's fence,,in town,,,down the fence a bit,,I kinda helped myself to some seed pods off of one of these. I let them dry out,,on a paper plate..and lo and behold..these pods would POP open and scare everyone in the house ! We'd find them all over the floor. I havent tried growin any from these seeds...but i will someday !! Such a beautiful vine.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Chainsaw, can you explane the perscription bottle method.
Mare_CC, I will send you postage for some seeds if you still have them.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

I was watching these little pods do nothing all year long then after the first of this year a cold snap came and BOOM!!!!! - they ALL started bursting! I was sick! I had been watching them for so long (look at the start of my thread) and I totally missed it. I will be better prepared this year!!!!!!

Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone. I went to the other forum and c&c'd some of the info. There used to be photos attached but they were no longer there. The following info is directly from the post by the person who uses this particular method for rooting figs. Seems like a great idea to try with the Wisteria. Hope it is clear to everyone. I sometimes get in a big hurry and make things too difficult. Just let me know :>)

Pill Bottle Method of Propagation

This method is for those times when you just can't stool or air-layer or the pot method just doesn't have a support. First you take an old pill bottle and clean it thoroughly and drill holes in the top and bottom just slightly larger than the diameter of the tree where you're going to get the roots to form. Many pill bottles have a clear plastic seal inside the lid that helps to form an airtight seal. This seal will separate when you drill (you could always heat up a metal rod and melt your way through) and you can either discard it or put it on top of the lid as putting it back inside the lid can be a real pain. Trim off all leaves above the area that interfere with the sliding of the pill bottle. Now you can either split the lid and the seal so that it can be removed more easily after rooting or leave it whole and cut later. The pill bottle is now slid down until it rests against a branch or leaf or is held in place by the stem diameter. Scarify (mutilate?) the area of the bark where the rooting will take place. It might be easier to do it with the bottle in place. Apply rooting hormone if you wish and fill the bottle with a peat-based soil mix, potting soil or good old loam. Put the lid and seal in place and that's it. Wait a few weeks and voila. It sounds more complicated that it is.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I use old film canisters, and good ole sandwish baggies.
I get fairly good results with them too. Same principal as the med bottles.
Have several evergreen clematis rooting up now.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Is this not how tissue culture is done?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Well no not really. Tissue culture is actually taking plant material and growing it in a sterile culture medium. Not unlike growing bacteria in petrie dishes. But don't quote me as I am no scientist.
Air layering is simply wounding an established plant and forcing root developement in the wounded area. The med bottle and or film canister allows you to enclose the wounded area in a more moist humid enviroment which stimulates better root developement

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I have used wet moss and silver foil. I scrunch the silverfoil up tight on both ends and then the sun heats it up and gets the roots going quickly!

Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a couple of photos of my plant. I have tried to air layer two huge pieces off the top half. Have been layered for about two weeks. Will see in a few more weeks if it worked.

Thumbnail by Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

A closer shot of the same bloom. This is from last year. The plant is looking to be absolutely LOADED with blooms this summer.

Thumbnail by Chainsaw
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

That is an awesome wisteria.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I agree DonnaB, it has a very unsual color, beautiful!!

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

tag for later reading

Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a photo of the two pieces I am trying to air-layer. I sure hope it works.

Thumbnail by Chainsaw
Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

That link is gonna get me in to TROUBLE! LOL

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

oh... I just bought this one when I was over in MS visiting with Roz and the other brugnuts... I can't wait to see mine bloom.. I'm going to have it run over an arbor.. a very STRONG arbor...

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Have seeds on my purple one but would like a few seeds off yours when they are ready. Have three baby's now in pots, to see how well they would grow from seeds. They are easy.
Also you may want to try this. Take one of your runners and let it grow down into a Pot. Nick the runner and bury it. Have taken all my starts off mine that way.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Bump!!!!! We need another photo Pam.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

OH COM'ON
You're doing this to torture us........

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

These germinate pretty good from seed,,only bad thing is plants started from seed can take as long as 5 years and more to bloom. Not of the regular wisteria family..It can be a rebloomer if you dead head. I have had good luck with rebloom,just at times it's hard to reach to dead head. Check out my post for favorite vine for more info.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2005 4:58 PM

Thumbnail by cinnabor
Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

WOW! I have never seen or heard of such a thing. Thatsa beauty and I gotta git myself one ASAP! Please keep the pics coming!
JD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.