Black Wisteria

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Just had to share my picture of "Black Wisteria"....not only is it a beautiful wisteria but the fragrance it produces is out of this world!

Thumbnail by moonlighting
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

WOW!!!!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

that is gorgeous!!

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Kell must have jetlag to miss this one!

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

OK, I want it, where did you get it? That is very pretty. Do you have cuttings or does it make seed. I am twisting your arm, so fess up or I will have to come and get yours.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Is that the evergreen variety?

Edited.

This message was edited May 21, 2005 9:30 AM

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

So very pretty. Have never seen any of that one before!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Is it Manettia reticulata? I was drooling over it a few days ago at almost eden..

http://www.almostedenplants.com/mall/vine_directory.asp

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

I bought this variety at the Houston Garden Center in Stafford TX (at a very reasonable price) two summers ago....It is a slow growing vine (woody) here in TX and does shed its leaves in winter. I have not seen it anywhere else but I haven't really looked for it - if I see it anywhere I will post as to where and how much. As far as seeds go, I don't recall ever seeing a pod - and yes, I have been watching for some too, lol, but I will keep watching....I have not tried my hand in cuttings in a while but I might get a few going to share with you......

***edited to say it does shed its leaves in winter.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2004 5:12 PM

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Carena - that is EXACTLY the one! Now I know the "real name", thanks........

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, I can't resist it! I will be ordering one as soon as payday rolls around again!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

That was a VERY BAD ,BAD link to let me look at......

BAD,very BAD......

I'm trying to be soooooo good......

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

lol.........

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Sorry CC, I know I'm so bad! but they have such wonderful treasures there! The first time I found it I thought uh-oh..almost eden = almost bankrupt! LOL I have ordered from them, they sent really nice plants. I've been coveting this wisteria for too long, I might as well give in and get one!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I've known that wisteria to be called "Evergreen Wisteria" The botanical name is Millettia reticulata. It is a wonderful wisteria. Hope this helps!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

oops, you are right! I goobered up and spelled it wrong, duh! lately the brain cylinders aren't functioning properly. thanks for the correction Lisa :O)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Root, it didnot take me long! So you remembered that I am a wisteria freak! I think this is the one that grows in La. I think Roz has it and is trying to get cuttings to grow. Hers though maybe more red. I just love it so much Moonlighting. Thanks for sharing it.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Moonlighting,
next time you come into Hou or Katy on I-10, go south on Fry Rd a few blocks. There is a new hosp, St Katherine's. They have Evergreen Wisteria growing on all the 'attached carports'. You should see them! & Yes, those even produce seeds!
We have them here @ the Farm.
Scroll down further on your hyperlink & ck out the Rangoon Creepers. Those bloom prolifically!!! The blooms start white, turn to pink, then to rose, & finally to the color in that pix. Another of my favorites!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Carena, it is I who needs to apologize to you..lol..I didn't even see you posted the name of it at all. I hate when I don't take time to read the posts carefully. I wouldn't have corrected you at all, I am the worst(errr worse) at spelling..LOL..so, with that said, I'm sorry I didn't see you posted earlier.

This message was edited Friday, Jul 18th 8:01 PM

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks for the info. smockette - I know the area you are talking about but haven't been in the area in awhile since the new hospital - maybe I need to take a little drive........

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Oh my, I knew better than to look at that link!

Matthews, MO(Zone 6b)

Ditto!!!

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, that is THE most gorgeous wisteria I've ever seen--plus slow-growing and non-invasive? I MUST have one -- thanks, er, I think...LOL!

And I was just wondering what to replace an evergreen clematis with, now that I've fallen out of love with it. The black wisteria would be perfect for that spot.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

~Drools~

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the first year it is seeding, here is picture of the pod.....

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

It is in its wave of flowering right now so here is a picture to share...........

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Moonlighting, Please save me a seed.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

As many times as I have walked by this thing and never payed it any attention...but my goodness the "ugly duckling" HAS become a swan !!........I guess I better go look at it again, huh...... :o)

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I can't quit looking at the pictures of it!

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Busybee, I will let you know when I have seeds available...went out today and the pod I posted is MIA! However, it appears that I have little pods just beginning so hopefully I will have some at a later date to share.
crestedchik, if you think it is pretty to look at, you should smell it, it is DEVINE!
WillowWasp - maybe you have the missing pod??? lol,.....

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll becha it's those darned ole crows that got that pod. Better git your gun honey or we won't have any seeds. ...........lol... :o0

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, sometimes the crows are so thick out here that it reminds me of the old Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds"...lol.....

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Glad I read this thread. I guess I must have heard or read about Almost Eden. Now I must order a coupld of things. the problem is that so many of the things aren't hardy enough for this area. Donna

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

RuthOlive, I'm going to have to bring so many plants inside this winter I might not be able to walk through my house and I don't care! I can't resist those tropicals!! I'm ordering one of these wisterias, I can't stop thinking about it!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

moonlighting, did you check the mail?

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Thank you very much, moonlighting. I will surely be waiting to hear from you.{{{HUGS}}}.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Dinu, I never got your reply........

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Will recheck again at my end.
BTW, how big does this plant get to grow?

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Dinu - I read that it can reach 15 feet...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.