the weather .. fave topic for Brits

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

well we cant complain can we!?

very hot days putting the Med and the Carrib in the shade. Long may it continue. Here in Northern Ireland we have had warm weather everyday for about a month with today ending with a high of 28c/82F. The last time it rained was June 27th

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

We've had rain since then, but the heat yesterday was extreme - 32/33C + 89/91F in the shade!
Scrambling through the woods in that heat was pretty exhausting (definitely needed my water bottle with me)

Sounds as if I have it all to do again today too. Though we may have some refreshing thunder rain by this afternoon, according to the forecast (hmmm)
Not taking my waterproof anyway lol

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Don't you just hate the way that the media pick up on these things though. A few hot days , and they're hammering on about heat waves and global warming.
I remember the last time we had real heatwaves,1975, 1976, 1977, I was expecting in those years , and can vividly remember struggling up this huge steep hill to get to the ante-natal clinics,sweat running off me in rivers, then being told that my blood pressure was high!!...I can't think why.
I can also remember sitting out in the garden at 10. p.m. stiil roasting hot, all the windows open in the house.Everyone seemed to be sat outside, drinking, it almost felt like being abroad.
I rekon it's because we bought a chimnea, last time we bought a sledge, and we've never had snow since either!!
Still it makes a nice plant stand..not that he's noticed yet, he'll freak when he does.hee...hee...

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

For about two and half weeks the weather has been like +28 C to +32 C (in shade) every day here in Finland. No rain, just sun and heat. They even reduced the tram traffic in Helsinki due to the heat. This is normal hot Finnish mid-summer weather, it always comes in June/August. It's nice to get tanned ;)

Guess I shouldn't complain the heat, in Winter we'll enjoy the -30 C temps again. :D

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 30th 6:06 AM

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

Well, this weather is great...If have place close where to swim. I cant stand this weather with out nice swim, The water is very, very warm...So that's not very freshening.. Well, definitely, we cant complain. This is great.

Ivinghoe Beds, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Good weather isn't always good news for tomato growers! A severe Blight Warning for the next week has just been posted by the potato growers' Inst in the UK - and it applies to tomato growers too.

So get out there with your Bordeaux solution (or marestail infusions) - fast

Thumbnail by John_Yeoman

Thanks for that warning John, I lost all my outdoor toms last year.

I've given up trying to grow them :(

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

the weathermen are predicting that we may break our UK record of 97 degrees on Wednesday!! yikes!!! :O
hope you have your sunblock handy!

29C here at the moment psilo, so a little way to go yet. That's 84F

Mind you I'm out dormousing on a site exposed to sun tomorrow - so sunblock definitely required!!....... and gallons of water!!!

dont need it LOL

:P
Don't possess any (sunblock, not water)

No Philomel all men think they are tough!! ;) dh is the same, the suns rays will just miraculously bounce off them! :))

I have never burnt.

anyway street lights on at 730pm because it is so dark - unbelievable. forked lightning since late afternoon

have you had rain then mark?
Here it is still bright, warm and pleasant, certainly no thunder! (8.30pm)

lashing for the last few minutes.

thinks - how can I save it for my water feature

why how big is it?!!!! :O the water feature that is!;)

half a whiskey barrel.

Oh right, had visions of Niagra falls flowing through your garden !! ;) :D so cant you just fill it from the tap like everyone else??

no cos it makes the water turn into pea soup

0025 and it's 20C outside

All those nitrates LOL
00.30 and it's only 18C here - though it went to 29.5C earlier

right, guess I am spoilt, my water is very soft.

Nitrates are substances in the water that are food for algae. These then grow rapidly to give the pea soup effect. It's found to some extent in all tapwater (it picks it up on contact with the earth - excess agricultural fertilizer etc), but there's none in rainwater if you can catch it straight from the sky :)

But, yes - furred up kettles are very much part of life down here. But the extra calcium helps to guard against brittle bones LOL

10s of 1000s of homes were blacked out yesterday from the most severe thunder/lightning storms were have had in donkies and I had no film in my camera to photograph the spectacle

.......and no card in your digital???????!!!!!!

Such is life - though the photos would have been rather on the dark side anyway *g*

Oh, sorry, you meant you'd have taken photos of the lightning, not the blackout.....

yep

ROFL, that would have stumped them in the photo forum Mark!!..
I'm surprised there haven't been more storms,it clouded up the other day , but then passed us by.
I learnt my lesson though last time, we had the most incredidle electircal storm,and my modem got blown, and the port it was in, so now I unplug the modem if storms are threatening.

OMG I never bother with things like that...
Hmmmm

I do

Have a surge protector, but that wouldn't protect against this would it?

no, we had the surge protector, but as you say, I doesn't help with the phone line.Lesson learnt

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.