A day in the life of Datura Wrightii

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

My Datura Wrightii was hit or miss when I started it - didn't know if it would survive being transplanted, etc. - it was a very slow second behind the Lilac La Fleur. BUT - I had a lovely sight today - first the bud ready to bloom and then when I came home, bloom larger than a soda can. And, another half dozen on their way tomorrow or the next day. How exciting - now there will be lots of seeds for next year and trading.

This is 8 am this morning:

Thumbnail by sbarr

And look at what I came home to at 8pm tonight! The smell is lovely. Top view!

Thumbnail by sbarr

A side view, for perspective on size. Thanks for enduring my photos. I was just so excited this morning and evening. This one has really stormed the garden - and is a close second behind the Lilac La Fleur.

Thumbnail by sbarr
"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Astounding!!! BTW, I hear that the roots of this one can be stored over the winter like a rhizome...

I did not have good luck starting Datura from seed. I do have one Triple Yellow, one Triple Purple, and one rare one supposed to grow 16 feet tall!

John - I know - it's great. Rather silly, but I am just tickled pink at being able to grow such a huge lovely flower. Originally from New Mexico and Texas, I didn't do a lot of flower gardening before moving up here, mostly xeriscaping - it's possible, just not the same as up here in NY. Watch out for the day I get my first brug bloom. I'll probably take the tree into work and let it join in on my conference calls.

I tried the double and triple purples and failed miserably. They're about 6 inches tall and doing nothing. But, then this Wrightii basically turned around in a month - so maybe there is hope for the others. I'll have to try saving some roots from this one - see what happens.

Does anyone have any spare double or triple seeds they might be willing to trade? *shameless beg*

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Wrightii is my favorite! I never did well with the doubles either, Sandra.

sbarr, I have some seeds, but hesitate to offer them as they did NOTHING for me.

poppysue, I don't feel so bad now... I have some 5 foot Brugs from seeds planted in spring, but only a couple miserable looking Datura. And I had planned to work more with Datura, just to be different, as so many are breeding Brugs.

John - if you want some Wrightii when they're ready, you're more than welcome - I can try to also send you a root at the end of the year if you want to try and store it over the winter, like you suggested above.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I dug roots up a couple of years ago. One lived out of 2 or 3 that I had dug. To be honest... I thought it was easier to start new seeds. It's not unusual for Datura wrightii and D.meteloides to live through a zone 5 winter and come back in the spring. I've never had them live more thsn 2 years in a row tho. They re-seed like crazy too, if you let the seeds fall from the plants. It doesn't take long for seedlings to become blooming sized.

I tried digging the roots up of the double varieties too but had no luck with them. I'm not positive but I think the double D.metel varieties are truely annual. I always managed to get a few flowers but never any seeds before frost came. I spose they should be started a lot earlier in the winter to enjoy the flowers in our short growing seasons.

city?? lol sticks, AR(Zone 7a)

Im no master gardener, but from what i can see--the best way to get any dat to do their thing is to treat them terribly--not much water---no fert and lots of heat. Pardancanda? any chance you might have some giant dat seeds in the future? can trade for brug cuttings this fall? cheryl

Cheryl, I am HOPING to see it bloom. But it is still small, it should start to take off soon. We had COLD and wet May and June, everything is behind schedule. And only ONE seed sprouted from that batch... If there are any seeds, you are at the top of the list! PLease remind me in the fall! John

Gratiot, WI(Zone 5b)

Sbarr: I have some seeds of the Purple one in my thread if you're interested. I will say that I and another person I sent them to are still awaiting anything to happen with them though. It's only been about 2 weeks so I still have high hopes that they will sprout. Let me know what you think.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.