Lemon Tree

Blue Springs, MO(Zone 5b)

My Lemon Tree seems to be having troubles - I got it this winter and when I moved it outside (gradually) it seemed to do fine. Then a few weeks ago a couple leaves started looking bad, and now a new leaf is deformed! Oh, no!! I live in the midwest where they usually don't grow, I plan on keeping it in a container & moving it inside in the winter...here's a couple pictures, hopefully someone out there will know what's wrong & what to do!!!! Thanks!

Thumbnail by TamTam

Here's a close-up of the weird leaf...

Thumbnail by TamTam
Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Looks like some type of sucking insect is at work. Do you see aphids or mealybugs or scale?

Absolutely no bugs at all!!! Do you think they could have done the damage & then left? I wondered if it was too much sun, but only a couple leaves were affected...well, the two new leaves by the disfigured one are doing fine, so my fingers are crossed! Thanks, Lupine! :)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

TamTam. I have a lemon tree, if I remember right it is a Meyer (Myerii?). I bought it from Logees a couple or so years ago, and keep it in the greenhouse over winter. Last summer my little Lhasa Apso's tail tangled with it and she drug it pot and all for several feet crying pitifully all the time until I could get her untangled. In the process the lemon tree did not fair too well. It had 10 or so not ripe lemons but about half got knocked off. The others did finally ripen but did not get very large. Actually i used one just a couple of days ago after having kept in fridge for several months.

The leaves were badly mangled and half dropped off. it didn't look good all spring but finally bloomed again and now has tiny lemons. the wind is so bad up here that the leaves get torn. I don't know what might be the problem with yours, but good luck. Donna

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi TamTam,
I have a dwarf lisbon lemon and a dwarf ruby red grapefruit that are doing the same thing. They were in containers and I just transplanted them. The only thing I can think of is not enough nutrients or maybe not enough water. Or maybe just a combination of both. It's been a really hot summer in Tucson and it (and the concrete patio the plants were on) cooked some of my plants while it was at the apartment. I just moved and now the trees are in the grassy area where it gets a lot of sun and more water. Both have new leaves growing, before and after the transplant. Of course that was only a couple of days ago.

Also, Citrus trees need a specific type of fertilizer.

Let me know if you figure out what is causing your problem.
Take care,
Joanna

Hey Joanna!! Thanks for your input - I can tell we both have fingers crossed!! I'm growing mine so my iguana can eat the leaves, and I can't use any fertilizer - BUT - I met a guy from New Zealand (South Pacific Islands) who told me to buy the lava rock that's by the charcoal grilling stuff at Walmart cuz the roots like to go THRU the rock - don't break it up, they like big pieces. I've asked around & nobody thinks it will hurt, so I tucked some in the already-transplanted tree, and I'm gonna transplant the other one with the rocks already in there!! Try it! And we'll keep fingers crossed!! :)

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Sqwidgetz
How big do the lemons get? Just wondered. I love those things as ice crushes with salt...yummmmmmy...its an Oklahoma thang...beleive its called up there Lemon squeezes

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have no idea how big they get since this is my first year with the lemon tree. I currently have 2 lemons on the tree that are still green. I'll post a pic whenever they decide to mature.
Waiting impatiently
-J

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL ok thanks lol :-)

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I think I found the problem we've both been looking for Anna

"Curling of new leaves and whitish colored streaking in the leaves is a sign of thrip feeding. Thrips are tiny cylindrical flee-like insects that feed by scraping the surface of the leaf. As a result leaves become distorted, but remain green for the most part. Thrips feed on virtually all citrus trees. However, the damage they cause is insignificant and no control is necessary. "

PS my two lemons are starting to finally yellow and may be ready soon!

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

I want someeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.