How about this?

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Can you guess how this container is produced?

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I cannot say for sure - - but it must be tall with holes in it. Anyway, it is beautiful. Nat

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I am clueless but curious. How?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

That's in a container? Wow!

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hello Nathalyn,Anastatia,Darius,

Now you can guess how better .
Cubic containers are used.

This message was edited Friday, Jul 11th 9:05 PM

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

A pile of three cubic containers plus a stocks container in front.

Below is another pile version.

Thumbnail by Tomtom

Tomtom they're absolutely beautiful.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

NO!!NO!!! You are totally imaginative!! What is a stocks container and what are those plants? OK OK I am a novice gardener and I do know a rose from a nasturium(sp?). Tell us your secrets. We promise not to tell anyone.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hello Elsia,
Thank you for having alook at my pic.
Isn't container gardening thrilling?

``````````
Anastatia,
Primura melacoides are planted in the pile of cubic container,and stocks are in therectangular container in front.

Below are some other plants displayed more less like this.
I hope you'll like them.

Lobelias

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 12th 6:18 AM

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 12th 6:20 AM

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Viola

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Those are absolutely wonderful!!! Such an eye for color, and how beautiful the arrangements :)

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hello Tootsie,

Thank you for your comment .
It is so exciting to arrange the plants dreaming their full blooming,Isn't it ?

Last is this, Gypsophila muralis and Diascia.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Great, awesome container gardening Tomtom!!

"eyes"

TT, I agree with 'eyes', those are awesome for any gardening, much less container gardening!!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Tomtom, your containers are award winners! So lush and beautiful. What do you use for containers? Do you make them yourself? I have never seen anything on the market like them. What do you line them with? What kind of soil do you use? And how do you water the ones on the bottom?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Those containers are really interesting and what you have done with them is outstanding! I also enjoyed your web site with all your wonderful pictures there.

Tomtom, after reading Zanymusae's comment about your web page, I went to look at it also. What wonderful photos and what a wonderful garden! Navigation was a bit hard as it's not in English, but watching your garden from one year to the next was pretty easy to do. I do wish I could have read your garden tips, LOL.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Tomtom, What does that post of yours July 12, 6:15 mean? those little boxes? Are you going to tell us, step by step, just how you did it? They are as incredable as you are!
I just realized, you are in Japan?

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thank you Eyesoftexas,
for writing me that you enjoyed my pics.
The combination of plants shown in the last photo is one of my favorites.

``````````
Thank you,Darius , for your encouraging comment .

``````````
NoH20CI 'm highly flattered.
I don't make these containers my self ; they're store-bought .
The cubic containers which are piled were said to be ,alas!,not produce now because of the lack of demands.
Though they serve you quite well if you come up with good ideas of using them.

This cubic container is 30cm x30cm x30cm ,made of vinyl.
It has several holes on the bottom as well as the sides.
I line it with thin sponge attached with it.
I use ordinary recycled soil,no special kind.
I put a holed vinyl bottle (like coke bottle) in the center of each cubic container and water slowly and steadly from the top .

This is the cubic container.

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 13th 8:59 AM

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Zanymuse,Darius,thank you very much for visiting my web site. Sorry that navigation is not in English.

``````````
Anastatia, let me tell you that "stock"is the common name for Matthiola incana.

Perhaps you know how to make hanging baskets. Almost in same way you can make such cube piles, main difference being that you have only to make a pile of them.

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 12th 8:58 PM

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Tomtom, your pictures are glorious. Thank you. I too, have never seen anything like this. It's brilliant.
Can you tell me where to find your website?

Liz, click on his name (left column) which takes you to his home page on DG. The link to his web page is there... wonderful shots and worth the trip!

edited to say I had email from Tomtom, and it is "she" not "he".

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 13th 10:05 AM

Thanks

edited to say your site is absolutely exquisite. Your pictures and composition is outstanding. That one picture on the trellis, with the 4 purple petunias flanking the yellow (?) over the white kale? Picture perfect.
Is this your garden? Are you a professional horticulturalist? This thread was a real treat to find.
Thank you.

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 12th 10:53 PM

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Ditto the rest - those containers are beautiful. I have an idea that you could start with those cube milk or pop crates remove some of the plastic to give the bigger holes and then cover the sides in wild colors of plastic sheeting with similar holes cut and voila we could make them. All the real canadian wholesale club charges as a deposit on those crates is $3 - I've used them for all sorts of things over the years and then taken them back when I'm through with them and got my $3 back.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

They are gorgeous! Wow, double Wow!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

How clever you are! Makes my brain try to figure out how I can do the same. I love your use of color. Thanks for sharing Tomtom.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Darius,
Thank you so muchafor introducing my site to Liz.

``````````
Liz,
I'm so glad you visited and liked my site. You're the first person who has ever asked me if I'm a professional horticulturalist.
Of course not! I'm justaone of those gardenning enthusiasts
with lots of curiosity. Yes, this is my garden such as it is .
Practically all flowers in it are grown by myself from the seeds and cuttings.
``````````
Hello Calalily A
Thank you for your compliments.I'm glad you like them.
``````````

Hello kell,
I'm so glad you and I share more or less the same taste for color.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

and I wish we shared your yard also Tomtom! LOL Too beautiful and so happy looking!

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hello Jagonjune,
Thank you for letting me know your brilliant idea.
You and I apparently share the enthusiasm for recycling things. Recyclig not only saves money,but it does also give us such a pleasure of rethinking things from a somewhat differnt angle .
I hope your Violas would grow and flower beautifully in 'your 'cube containers.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Tomtom, I have to tell you that your containers are very striking. Love the mixture of plants that you use also. Great website even if it is in Japanese. Wish we had the cubic containers in Canada as I would love to try them but the milk crates that jagonjune mentioned has possibilities. Keep posting your containers as it gives us all some great ideas. Great pic's.

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Absolutely incredible TOMTOM !!!

These are the nicest I've seen ... again ... ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!!

Wintermoor

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Tomtom, What is the common name of Primura Melacoidus? I know a person on the board of Wal-mart and I'm going to have her take a look at this thread. Thanks, you gardens are beautiful.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Woodspirit, I think Tomtom might mean Primula, not Primura.
Tomtom, I have to say your gardens and containers are unbelievable. They go beyond professional, I can't believe you do all of that by yourself. Makes me want to hang up my trowel and find a new hobby - no, wait, I've changed my mind. Instead of seeing you as competition, I think I will view you as INSPIRATION! Thank you so much for sharing the beauty you have created and I hope you will keep sharing it. Yours may be the most beautiful site I have ever seen - even if I can't read a word of it. I guess it is true - a picture is worth a thousand words.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

There are a couple of pictures on your site of containers that are large open weave baskets (one bamboo I think and the other metal) that are lined with what looks like a fine mesh fabric. Can you tell me what it is and do you put soil directly against that liner or is there something else there as well. They have a wonderful lacey quality. The look is so elegant; how much time do you spend each day in your garden?

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thank you so much,Broots, for visiting my homepage.
I'm glad you like my containers.

This is the cubic containers remade of store-bought vinyl pots by one of my friend

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Flowers are displayed in the pile of containers described above.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hello Wintermooor, I'm so glad you like them. Thank you.

``````````
Hello, Woodsprit 1,
I'm sorry I misled you.
It should be read as 'Primula malacoides'as NoH2O kindly suggested.
Does any body know its common name?

``````````
NoH2O,thanks a million for correcting my spelling error.
I hope you'll be as helpful .
Your encouraging words are deeply appreciated.
I'm still struggling and I hope I 'll get stimulating ideas at this site.
You say ,"A picture is worth a thousand words."Couldn't agree with you more.
I love taking a pictures ,too.

``````````
Jagonjune,You took a look at a lot of my pages?
They were made for a friend ---I think they were a little too overplanted.
I usually use dark -colored plastic bags as liners, but I try to use this or that as the case may be.

This message was edited Monday, Jul 14th 5:35 AM

Tomtom, when the containers are stacked on top of each other how do you keep them from toppling over? Does the weight of the soil keep them upright?

Tomtom, so the flowers are planted in all the holes, making the planting look larger?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

How were those big holes put in the remade cubic containers Tomtom, they are all so even looking. I have tried to cut holes in pots and it is hard to do so. thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.