Oriental Poppy seeds

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have some Oriental poppies that I want to sow the seeds from to make a larger bed. How hardened does the seed pod need to be and do I sow them now in the summer or wait until fall or even next spring? Are there any special techniques to sprouting Oriental Poppy seeds?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The tops of the pods will vent open when the seeds are ready. You'll be able to hear the seeds rattling inside and you can shake the seeds right out of the pods through the vent holes. I haven't had much luck direct sowing Orientals. I usually start them in late winter and tranplant the seedlings in spring.

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

I've tried to start them outdoors in spring and fall, with no luck. Like Poppysue, I start them in the greenhouse in early spring and plant them out before hot weather sets in and sometimes it's a couple of years before they bloom.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks, ladies. I'll gather the seeds this summer/fall and try starting them in the early spring. Time to blooming isn't a big problem as long as they live and bloom eventually.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I would love to have poppies but never any luck with them..possible too hot here in the DFW area?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

earthling, I grow islandic poppies in what passes for soil in san diego. Mine reseed now but I used to put them out at christmas time and they bloomed in late feb. By the time it gets really hot they are gone. Pick a spot and test patch some seeds every month, say Oct to Feb to see when they start best. I don't worry over much about when it says it is supposed to grow. I let the plants pick. I comes in lots of colors and reseeds nicely. Now it picks when to come up. I just checked. There are a few seed heads among the canterbury bells. Want some when they are dry? I think they were red/white, light pink and a wee orange one.

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 12th 7:44 PM

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the offer, frogs..I would lOVE to try some..my mother was the one that said it might be too hot here, but I keep on trying. You have email.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is a pink one. It will be a week or so. The little orange sherbet colored one is not yet dry. I've been watching him. It looked like someone planted a 50/50 bar and a little poppy came up. Good Luck. At least these are used to having toasty toes. Wish I could have sent more colors.

Thumbnail by frogsrus

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.