jalapeno and banana peppers

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

How on earth do you know when a green vegetable is ripe? I think I waited too long expecting them to be the size of store bought ones and now they are turning red. *shrug*

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Size will depend alot on variety and conditions. You may not be growing the same exact ones you see in the stores.Temps,nuitrients and water will affect the size of peppers too.

Use your red ones! They have a wonderful unique taste.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

eco..those red ones are the 'high dollar' ones...you should be pleased! They'll be so much more tasty than the green ones...much more sweeter (if bell/bulls horn type), or more "flavorfully spicey" if they are the hot variety.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

eco: Let's understand one thing up front; there are very few green when ripe veggies. There are several---such as some peppers---that we eat in the unripe stage.

Your peppers are ripe when they are fully red. Before that, you can eat them at any size you want once they've developed their color (dark green for the jals, pale greenish yellow for the bananas). But, one of the joys of gardening is the ability to have "vine ripened" veggies that you don't get in the stores.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Welp, I guess when I get home I'll make me up a couple of nachos!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.