Tips on starting seeds?

Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

I have never grown anything from seed before, but I'm always up for something new! I have bought more than a dozen different kinds of seeds (morning glory, cosmos, zinnia, nasturium, marigold, milkweed, coleus, foxglove, etc.) With all the rain we've had this year I think it would probably be best to start them inside. I bought 2 of those seed starting cell pack thingies. One of the cell packs has those little peat things in it. (Really technical sounding descriptions huh?)

Now what? Plus, I know the cell packs won't be enough for everything I have. I plan to start about a dozen of each kind and share the rest of the seeds. What do you guys do to start seeds? Help!

Mary Ann

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

That's a loaded question, Zulu! Such a myriad of ways to start seeds.

For what you have simply put some potting soil in your trays and sow your seeds according to the directions on each pack. (Some will be buried very shallowly, some may need light to germinate so will be sprinkled on top.) No need to put soil in the tray with the "peat thingys", of course.

Also might want to look at the packs to see when they recommend you start the seeds. If some say you should've started them two months ago they may not have time to bloom. All the info should be there for that.

Lightly water the trays, cover with the plastic lids if they came with them, or place Saran wrap over them to help hold in the moisture. That should get you started but feel free to post more specific questions if you have any.

Above all, ENJOY!
Welcome to DG. Hope ya'll aren't flooded down there. Your rain is at my house today! ô¿ô

Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks a lot Horseshoe! I'm sure I'll have more questions later. I'm not too worried about having enough time for them to bloom. We don't usually get frost until January (if at all). Most annuals do better in New Orleans in the fall and winter months than they do in the spring and summer. Out heat burns most things up! I know folks who have planted tomatoes in the fall and produced a crop with no problem!

Sorry you're getting our rain but we've had more than enough already! Hurricane season just started and I can't believe we got our first storm already. This year's weather is just crazy! Mary Ann

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hi Mary Ann, your morning glorys will do better if you nick the seed coat and soak overnight in tepid water.

They have a very hard coat and while they will germinate on their own,they need the action that a freeze/thaw situation will give.You'll get a better percentage if you take the edge of a table knife or a metal nail file and make a little cut in the seed.

Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the tip about the morning glorys Melody!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Check out Tom Clothier's gardening site. http://tomclothier.hort.net/

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 5th 6:43 PM

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

.....and there's always this method which seems to work very well http://davesgarden.com/t/382293/

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

sure is but I dont think annual seeds special care. This methos is also good for large seeeds that may take months to germinate. This way you can pick out dead seeds which go mouldy and not waste time with them sitting in pots.

Mark

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.