Tips on starting seeds?

Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

I have never grown anything from seed before, but I'm always up for something new! I have bought more than a dozen different kinds of seeds (morning glory, cosmos, zinnia, nasturium, marigold, milkweed, coleus, foxglove, etc.) With all the rain we've had this year I think it would probably be best to start them inside. I bought 2 of those seed starting cell pack thingies. One of the cell packs has those little peat things in it. (Really technical sounding descriptions huh?)

Now what? Plus, I know the cell packs won't be enough for everything I have. I plan to start about a dozen of each kind and share the rest of the seeds. What do you guys do to start seeds? Help!

Mary Ann

Edited to say I just realized that there is a forum called "Propagation". I guess I should have posted this there. Should I? So many forums so little time...

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 2nd 10:43 AM

Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

I'm moving this to the Propagation forum.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey Maryann, depending on what type of milkweed you have, it may need a cold period. Not sure about the foxglove either with out looking, but all the others should do fine just sprinkled onto raked up ground and covered a bit. :) If you have so much rain, they will wash out, I am not sure to tell you, but honestly they would do best just seeded out.

Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

It has been raining here every single day. I would prefer to start them outside but just I don't think it's possible.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Zinnia and nasturtium do best if you plant the seed where you want them to grow. If you want to start them indoors so they do not wash away, those would be great candidates to plant in your peat pellets. That way you don't have to disturb the roots when you plant them in the ground.

Foxglove don't need a cold period before they sprout, but they need some cool weather or they won't flower.

Marigold, coleus, morning glory, are all very easy to grow from seed!

After you plant the seeds, cover them up with some type of plastic to help keep the moisture in. Many seeds need some light or they won't sprout, so make sure you use clear plastic. Once they have sprouted, take the plastic off. Keep the soil of your baby plants damp (not soaking wet) at all times, and watch them grow :)

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Also check out the deno method http://davesgarden.com/t/382293/

Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for all the information folks! That Deno method sounds like something I want to try. I checked out that other thread and it had lots of good info. I'll let you know how it goes. Mary Ann

East Greenbush, NY

window sill seed starter: Just came up with this idea and will try it as I have no where to start a FEW seeds except on a narrow window sill............. was in goodwill store and saw 5 of those rubermaid utensil holders. where you'd keep extra serving spoons and/or cake servers, etc.......... the plastic holder is about 2" wide and about 12" long & narrow enough to sit on a windowsill so that the seeds could get started. should work, right? jeani4

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

The shape of the utensil holders sounds perfect, but do they have any drainage?

East Greenbush, NY

Hi DS, there are no drainage holes but I plan to drill several through the bottom. jeani4

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.