hydrangea without buds

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

I have this very large healthy looking hydrangea but not a single sign of budding. Any hope yet? cj from Minnesota

Thumbnail by cjean
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Could you post a photo of a closer view on the top of the bush?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Hi Zanymuse, here is the top of my hydrangea..does this help? cj

Thumbnail by cjean
Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry to butt in but is that a variegated hydrangea??? If so, then they are quite shy to flower and then only sparsely. I have one and it doesn't perform like other hydrangeas but it's still early days yet - especially for your neck of the woods!! :-) Give it little time!! By the way, it blooms on old wood so any pruning should be done after it has flowered by removing the spent blooms and nothing else.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Louisa, I bought this 4 years ago without a clue as to anything more than it was a "hydrangea". I have one that I have identified as an Annabelle. The flowers grow as big as basketballs (well almost) and it is so hardy. The hyrdrangea in the pic did not bloom last year but the previous year I pruned it very low to the ground. Last autumn I left it alone. I am just learning the gardening tecniques of all of you seasoned gardeners. Daves Garden has become my chief resource!! cj

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

From the looks of the branch tips it soes seem to be a bit early for blooms yet. As Louisa said, give it some time. Although I have never tried a verigated form so listen to Louisa on this one :~)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

But am I right in thinking this has yellow variegation on the leaves???? The eyes do not work very well these days!!! :-)

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

yes Louisa, it has a very sutle variegation, little bit of white and yellow...cj

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I believe there are two forms of variegated hydrangea and here is one link...... I am also going to open up a new thread with a great link for questions and answers regarding this lovely shrub.

http://www.westongardens.com/page%20content/plant%20library/hydrangea%20variegated%20lacecap.htm

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

This is the variegated hydrangea I got from Calalily last year at the RoundUp. Slugs have done some damage, but it is about to bloom!

Thumbnail by darius
Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi darius, that's exactly like mine although no sign of blooms yet but you are one step closer in NC. I did read that we should remove those leaves that revert to green otherwise the whole plant will lose the variegation.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Margaret, thanks for that tip about the leaves. I'll check it closely today.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.