Crape Myrtle

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Well, I took the financial plunge and purchased a Tuscarora Crape Myrtle. I've been doing some searching but I'm finding very limited info in this particular bush/tree. It's in very good shape and it was purchased from a very good local greenhouse. When I was asking them my array of questions they got out their "book" and we searched but again...limited info. Have any of you planted crape myrtle in Zone 6? This particular variety is suppose to be hardy to Zone 6. We planned on planting it in a fairly protected area near the house on the East/Southeast side with morning sun, small break and then full afternoon sun. Good idea? I'm counting on some of you having some success and good suggestions for planting and placement. I sure hope so anyway. :)

Thank you!!!

"T" :)

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

SLEDDER, your crape myrtle might die back to the roots in winter, but will be up and growing tall again each spring. Mine did fine in zone 6b/7a, but some years did dieback to the ground.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the links CoCo.

Pardan, are you saying that even as a tree it will/could die back to the ground? And then come back? And did you protect the roots in the winter in your zone?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.