Maybe no tater problems after all!

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

I decided to dig up a plant or two and see if my tubers had any damage and this is what I found! So, it appears that my taters are doing okay!

Thumbnail by tcfromky
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I think you might be right, we get too concerned when everything above ground doesn't look perfect. Just keep watering them and they will probably outgrow the trouble. Remember a spud is mostly water. Looks like good eating to me.

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Hello MaryE, yep they were delicious! Gobbled them up last night. You mentioned being too worried 'bout things when they don't look just right. Excellant point! I think I'll go dig me some more for supper tanite!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Just plant a few extra for the bugs and the birds. I don't worry unless things really get out of control. Hand picking some bugs helps, last year I was grabbing wasps with needle nose pliers, plunging them into a jar of water with salad oil floating on top. They were out of control. It got a bit exciting a few times but I never got stung because the wasps were into sugar and would usually just find another berry if I missed a grab. I few times I walked out of the patch to let things settle down. However, that is a long way from spuds.

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

I leave the bees alone. Even though I'm allergic to bee stings I don't let that keep me away from my gardens! Most pollinating bees are too busy to sting anyway, unless you mess with them.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

TC,
Has anyone considered potassium, magnesium, or manganese deficiency in your potatoes?

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi tbolt76 (very unique name),
Good point and I should get my soil tested in my veggie garden! Something I've neglected to do!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I've heard that soil tests just tell you the NPK levels so you might want to be specific if you want info about trace mineral content.

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks MaryE, I'm a Master Gardener so am quite famaliar with what the soil tests involve.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.