Tater Problems!

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Can anyone help out in identifying what's wrong with my taters? Please!?

Thumbnail by tcfromky
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sorry TC..have never seen that. I'm like you...would love to know what caused that.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

book says it may be light blight (lite blite) sp?

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Hey shoe and Susan,
I read yer post on the foto forum Susan and decided to take poppysue's advice and post my query here. I'm gonna look up blight too and see what I can find out.
Shoe, before this damage occured the leaves looked like this:

Thumbnail by tcfromky
Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

check out this site, you may find something there about what it is

http://www.uidaho.edu/ag/plantdisease/plbsym.htm

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

tc...any chance there could be drift from an herbicide or pesticide OR other foliar spray? The white dots on the leaves don't appear to be from flea beetles, they usually make shotgun type holes (plus in our area we've never seen them attack taters before).

The way the "purple" discoloration has gone into the leaves is different from blight (or rather late blight)...the veins are still green and the discoloration is betweent the veins. Now I'm more curious than ever!

The site Flowox brought up has an email address for people with questions...we (or you) should send the pic and see if that looks familiar to him/them. (By the way, Flow...good site! Thanks! I'll save that one!)

I swain, looks like some sort of deficiency or food burn to me. Just am guessing tho. Any more info on what you've fed the plants, soil conditions, sprays of any kind, etc?

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

thanks Shoe :)
I don't know much about these things but since I usually have time to spare while I'm on here and see that someone hasn't gotten a response to a question, I'll search around and try to find something. Many times I come up empty handed but sometimes I do find "something"........lol
Glad you liked that site

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks again y'all for the helpful info! I went to that Idaho site Susan and looked at the fotos of late blight. I'm still not sure if that is what's wrong with my taters or not though. Shoe, I sent in the same foto here to the email address the site had asking for help (just now did that). You also brought up the fact that the veins in my potato leaf are still green, the fotos at that site showed veins with discoloration in late blight, another reason for me to doubt that what I have is late blight. I hope I get a reply from the site soon! I don't know if I should go ahead and spray fungicide or not. According to that site, my tubers may already be contaminated!
About any other spraying...I did spray licquid sevin on them right after I noticed those white spots. As for any spraying of herbicides or anything like that in the area, I don't think that has occured.
We also have had a very wet spring and early summer, I read on that site that wet conditions can cause late blight.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

what's that purple stuff on the ground TC? Could it be that the plants absorbed the color from that stuff? My son did a science experiment not too long ago about plants absorbing water and we used different colors of food coloring and the plants would get blue spots and red spots according what color water they were in. I just thought since that stuff on the ground is purple, maybe that's all they did, was absorb that color from them? Hope that's all it is :)

just a thought

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I know whatcha mean...just doesn't look like late blight to me either. Kinda looks like something systemic, doesn't it...the way it looks like something has traveled thru the membranes of the leaves like that...hmmm.

Will be waiting to hear the update.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

that's why I keep thinking it's that purple stuff on the ground, does have the same color and since it travelled through the membranes, it would kinda make sense

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Guess we were posting at the same time, Flow...
I remember those experiments! We used to do that with celery stalks and food coloring! (And I think gardenia flowers...can't remember tho.)

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Isn't that kinda what it looks like Shoe? That color in the leave just resembles the color of that stuff that's laying there so much

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.