Poor Pole Beans!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Here is the message I posted under 'Garden Foes'. Can anyone give tips or advice? Thanks!

http://davesgarden.com/t/386672/

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

I responded there, Sue. But if you don't see it:

There are three critters most responsible for the condition you describe: rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. While you say you have a fence, you don't describe it.

A deerproof fence has to be ten feet tall, unless you use other than straight up & down fencing. But those other methods are very costly in ground use.

Rabbits and groundhogs will often dig under a fence. So the bottom edge should be buried at least six inches to prevent---or at least minimize---their access to the garden.

Sometimes the bitten-off tops will recover and send out new growth. But don't count on it. Were it me, I'd plant new seeds next to the affected plants.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Brook, thanks. I posted a photo of the fence on the other thread. Also posted a photo of what's left of a pole bean. I've planted twice now, but will not give up. I'm determined to figure this out!

We do have rats and mice running around since we have new construction behind us. I'm working hard to catch them all. Sounds gross, I know.

Unfortunately our fence does not since 6" below grade, I'm hoping that this is a temporary issue, I had great pole beans last year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.