Effects of roundup!!! :((

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I think that the council has been spraying round up on our pavements and it has leached onto my plants. All though it isnt killing them it is bleaching out all their colour.

Thumbnail by psilo

This geranium is Oxonianum Phoebe Noble and started out as above (I know the colour isnt quite right blame my camera! :( ) and is fading!

Thumbnail by psilo

All these flowers come from the same plant and have different coloured flowers on one stem.

Thumbnail by psilo

The ones nearest the pavement are almost totally white!

I believe this also caused my magnificum to fade as someone has a large patch of it around the cornor and it is the same! :((

Thumbnail by psilo

The grass on the other side of the pavemtent is going yellow in a wide strip about 15 inches wide. Last year they came round cutting all the edges straight. I suppose now this is too much bother when they can just blast things with herbicides!! :((

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

do you people use ride on machines to spray? our council has them and the spray goes everywhere

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

There is a very large corn field at the very edge to town, right next to what was once a beautiful, and old, flower garden. The farmer sprayed 2-4-D on the corn field and it killed absolutely everything in the garden. Most of the Peony's had been there for 50+ years. The gardener, a little lady about 85, has filed a suit against the farmer for one million dollars! She claims this farmer has taken away her life by destroying her gardens. I hope she wins. 2-4-D can kill plants up to 10 miles away. Chemicals are just too easy to use and obtain...the lazy mans way to farm.

No Mark a guy comes round with a hand sprayer.

Mossrose I hope the old lady wins too. She probably lives for her garden and someone has to be held accountable. It disgusts me how people still use these chemicals without a second thought.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

What a terrible thing to happen MossRose!! Do hope she wins her case - she certainly deserves to

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Our weekly newspaper came out yesterday,,,it seems the farmer offered her $5,000 to drop her suit. She told him she would accept the money if he would sign a contract agreeing to never use chemicals again for the rest of his life. He wouldn't sign the contract; so she didn't accept the money. I drove by her house to check it out and she hasn't touched her gardens, and oh my,,,its enough to cause a gardener to cry. That 2-4-D stuff is something, it killed absolutely every sprig of grass, along with every plant. It looks like a bombed out area to me. I contacted the chairperson of my local gardening club and we're going to take a vote at our next meeting to offer our help in replenishing her gardens. She's old and surely can't do the work herself anymore, and we have lots of strong backs available, plus lots of plants to share. I hope she allows us to help...but she may not want to distrub anything until the legal stuff is over. We'll see...

Mossrose what a lovely kind thought. There is nothing like a group of gardeners for pulling together and sharing.
I also hope though that the old lady gets every penny that she deserves!

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

MossRose, that is a wonderful plan. I wonder how long after the roundup was applied it will be until plants will once again be able to survive. Perhaps your group could provide her container gardens for now? The plants could be put into the ground when the chemical has dispersed and the legal problem disposed of. She should get some really good photos of the damaged areas for the hearing.

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

how about this... my front yard (err the 30 acres in front of my nursery) is all in roundup-ready cotton...

need I say more?

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

MossRose, is there any update on the little old lady's suit?

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

No, sorry, there is no update. She won't allow us to touch anything right now, but has agreed to let us help her restore her gardens when this legal thing is over. Twice last week I found her sitting under a tree in my gardens, where she had been pulling weeds. Of course I've given her free access to do whatever she wants. I suppose, like me, she needs to renew her spirit by digging in the dirt. While it makes me sick to think of all her plants that have died, I'm so thankful that I met her, and so very glad to share my gardens with her. I mentioned to her that it might takes years to settle this, but she's determined and says all she has is time.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

It is so kind of you to let her share your garden. I would be lost if I couldn't garden, especially in times of stress. It calms and soothes me and puts everything in proportion. It must be so stressful for her to see death everywhere she looks in her own garden. Thank you so much for reaching out to her.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.