Newbie seed saving hybrid question

Bedford (DFW), TX(Zone 8a)

Hello All,
How do you know if you can save seeds from veggies (or anything else for that matter) and have seeds that are identical to their parent? If the plants proper name or label doesn't include the word "hybrid" is it safe? I'm growing some heirloom tomatoes and I know they'll be fine...but am wondering about varieties such as Burpee's Big Mama, Stakeless, and Viva Italia. I would greatly appreciate hearing from the DG experts ;)

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Well, I'm no expert, but I believe if the seed is hybrid it must be labeled as such. If you've discarded the seed packet, go to the website and check it out. Hope this helps.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

I used to believe you were right MossRose. But I notice the past few years that more and more plant containers do not identify hybrids. So maybe the rules have changed?

Usually, if nothing else, the catalog listing for seeds does differentiate hybrids from OPs.

Plain City, OH(Zone 5b)

It seems to me that it doesn't make any difference whether a plant is a hybrid or not - if there is another plant like it anywhere around the bees will probably cross polinate it. The only way to be SURE of the growing a new 'exact' plant would be to grow a cutting of the original.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

There are many factors involved in pollination, and whether or not plants need to be isolated by distance, caging, bagging, or other means.

By and large, only varieties of the same species will naturally cross. Thus, if you are growing two cucumbers (Cumumis sativus) there is a good chance of them crossing if grown too close together. However, if you also grow muskmelon, (Cucumis melo), they won't cross with the cukes, even those the genus is the same.

Squashes can be confusing, because there are six species, three of which are very commonly grown. Although there is some evidence of inter-species crossing, it is rare, at best. So you could plant one each of the six species, and maintain seed purity. The thing to watch with squashes, however, is that often varieties that are physically very dissimilar actually are the same speices. Thus, zucchini and acorn squash, as one example, should not be planted near each other because they can cross.

There is also the question of self-pollination. Most self-pollinators, although they can cross via insect activity, do not on practical terms. Peppers are a noteable exception, because they cross if you look at them cockeyed. But standard tomatoes, for instance, do not if they are separated by as little as five feet. Common beans (which self-fertilize even before the flowers open) almost never cross.

Timing, too, plays a role. Because lettuces blossom at different times of the day, and are fertile for such a short period (as little as an hour or less), you often can plant them very close and not see any crossing.

I would strongly recommend you read "Seed To Seed," which is the basic reference on seed saving and seed purity.

And, btw, it does matter whether hybrid or open pollinated, because hybrids _never_ breed true to type.

Bedford (DFW), TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much for the replies. It's all very confusing and I think I'd do well to read "Seed to Seed". I'll check the library today for it. Thanks to everyone for the help. It would be helpful if there were a labeling "standard". That would help with some of the confusion.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The seed companies want you to assume that you can't save seeds,for the most part.I've found that there are less and less labels,or designations alerting you to the type of seed you have.

All of the tomatoes you mentioned are hybrid and will not grow true from seed.

Brook is right,Seed To Seed is one of the most valuable books you can own.I'd advise getting one. I refrence mine countless times during the season.

There have been several threads here at DG on the subject.You might put the word hybrid in the search box and read the threads that come up.I know that we have done a lot of talking on the subject,and everything is still here.Dave gets rid of nothing.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Does anyone know of an excellent source for seed identification by plant? I have a website I use, but some of my plants aren't listed and I'm looking for something in book form possibly.

Here's the site I use so if you know of another I'd appreciate that too!

http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedpods.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.