Wildflowers & Thistle

Orland Park, IL(Zone 5a)

I have some cuttings with flowers and it looks like seed pods on some wildflower and thistle. Will the seed pods dry out so that I can eventually plant them or would they have had to dried while they were on the stalk still planted in the ground. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Well... it sorta depends on the plant and how far along the seeds were developed. Some seeds will continue to mature after they've been picked. Are you rooting the cuttings? Or do you have a them in a bouquet? If you're rooting they'd probably do better if you trim the pods off.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Wild Fowers,Thistles and so called weeds,
have always been interesting. I encourage wild rosas,common roadside cornflowers and this Teasel,the farmers around here give me strange looks when they see what I'm up to now,Ha.
I didn't know what this was when I stopped and snapped some off [ouchie] somewhere in Indiana for seed. It is a very prolific re-seeder but I have many areas where I can start controllable trouble...lol.The surrounding area that I keep mowed,I looks like a ground cover of fat leaves.
This is a bunch left over from last year. I spray paint silver ,gold or whatever for decoration.
>^,,^< SB

Dried Teasel

Thumbnail by scooterbug

This year

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Almost ready to bloom.

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Scooterbug, Teasel is wonderful for flower arranging. Especially for holiday things. One year i cut (and it wasn't easy) the prickly center out of the head of the teasel leaving the curving outer tips. Then painted them silver or gold and put small decorations in the center, hot glued in. They were very pretty. I don't grow teasel, just collect when I am in an area where they grow wild. Donna

rutholive,did you know that the Colonial women used teasels to comb [card??] the wool before spinning. Also in Jean Auel's book Valley of the Horses the prehistoric woman Ayla used teasel to brush her captured wild mare 'Winnie'?

to all,if anyone would like my extra teasel heads for crafts,etc. will send for postage.Here is an example of wee teasel folk,they make darling mice also and a lot more. >^,,^< SB

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Scooterbug, those are adorable!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.