Saddleback Caterpillar

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Sibine stimulea has hollow tipped poisonous spines connected to underlying poison glands on the four large projections (tubercles) and many smaller ones that stick out from its body. It has the approximately the same sting pain as a bee

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This is one of the 'slug' caterpillars and feeds primarily on the leaves of certain trees and shrubs such as chestnut, cherry, plum and oak.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

it has the same sting as a BIG bee!! hurt like heck for days!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL tiG, I'm not talking from experience but it looks like you are! I'd heard so I was careful not to touch it...

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

get this. DD walked by the banana and it got her. She came in just almost crying!! I went out to see what got her, lifted the leaf and it got me too! LOL!!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

That was one BAD caterpillar! I guess my time is coming. I've grabbed several caterpillars...that's always a surprise!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

That one looks kin to the P. toyus.

Stone Mountain, GA(Zone 7b)

I got 'stung' by one last year! I brushed up against it on my hydrangea bush! It scared me so bad because my hand swelled up and was bright red and throbbing!! I looked it up on the internet real quick and they suggested using scotch tape to remove the poison hairs from the skin. That is the most important thing to do! It really helped! I still thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. Apparently the poison make you have anxiety too!! Luckily the reaction calmed down within about 30 minutes and I was ok after that!
yvana :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.