Paprika Peppers

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I am growing these for the first time. Has anyone else ever grown them?

Can you harvest them when they are green too? or are they only harvested when red?

Can you use them as you would use a regular bell pepper?

Thanks in advance,
Lisa

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Lisa,

You can use paprika peppers like bells, but they lack the sweetness. They are better used as an addition to stews and the like, either green or ripe.

Frankly, I like them best for their intended purpose. let them ripen, dry them, and grind. If you want the ultimate in paprika taste, grind them as needed rather than ahead of time, because ground paprika tends to oxidize readily.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

thank you Brook, hmmm...maybe I should try to sell fresh ground paprika at the Farmers Market...I could dry them here at home, take them to the market and ground them there (folks love to see things being done) I have the tools to do it.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

What kind of grinder do you both have?

Altho it's a bit late in the year to start peppers (from seed) here, I wish I could find a paprika pepper with a little more heat to it than what I grew out several yrs ago. I like "Hungarian paprika" (that I buy)...hmmm, maybe it is a blend of something and that is why it seems to be a bit hotter?

What kind are you growing, Lisa?

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Shoe,

There are, literally, dozens of peppers used for paprika in Hungary, depending on the degree of hotness/sweetness wanted, and the underlying flavor.

Mostly I grow the Boldogi Spice, which I obtained from a trader in Hungary. This makes a sweet paprika, and I use chilies to add any heat needed in a dish.

For grinding I just use a coffee grinder---the same one I use for grinding herbs. I have two: one is a Braun, the other a GE.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Brook...I suppose I could make a type of "paprika" from nearly any pepper then, eh? Perhaps one that is thick-walled yet easily dried? (Surely they must dry easier than tomatoes!)

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

>Perhaps one that is thick-walled yet easily dried? <

Isn't that an oxymoron? Thick walled peppers usually do not dry easily.

I do, however, dry sweet peppers of various kinds using a dehydrator. But, rather than griding them to powder, I use them as flakes, which get added dishes as needed.

You can, if you like, make your own soup powders. Dry peppers, onions, leeks, etc. Even sweet corn. Coursely grind them to the consistency you want. Here, again, I prefer small flakes to powder. Store in a moisture-proof container. When you want a quick cup of soup, add 1 tbls of the dried veggie powder to a cup of boiling water and let it steep until the veggies rehydrate. For an added taste treat, break up some dried tomatoes into the mix. When it's ready, add salt and pepper to taste, and maybe a sprinkle of garlic powder.

Some veggies, such as corn and winter squash, work better if they are cooked before drying, or else they take too long to rehydrate.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmm...good idea! Just might have to give that a try! Sounds like a good late Summer/Fall project. (Running low on dried maters anyway.)

Thick-walled peppers, perhaps cut in strips, should dry more easily than paste tomatoes (I hope). Now don't you dare give my description away to them peppers! I'm everyone's favorite moron...just sign me "Oxy". :>)

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

JustmeLisa-I grow the Paprika Supreme from PineTree Seeds and have found that they are spicy,mildly sweet,and mildly warm,but not hot. They are great fresh,dried and crushed, or absolutely fantastic on the grill or smoker. Do wait until they are red. They (the plant)tend to be very prolific and mine get to 3'x3'. The coffee grinder method after they dry that Brook mentions works very well, but they won't taste like most Paprika you buy in store due to the fact that there is a lot more than just paprika in most store's paprika.
Brook&Shoe do you ever blender or just hand chop your peppers to 1/4 inch size then dry or freeze? I found that works very well for either method.
Shoe-I thought I was the original large stupid person-ie oxymoron!!

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

>do you ever blender or just hand chop your peppers to 1/4 inch size then dry or freeze? <

I find it easier to use larger pieces than that. Depending on the variety, I either dry them whole, or cut them into strips about 1/2" wide x the length of the pepper.

After they're dry I put them up in either zip locks or 1/2 gallon Mason jars, then process them further as necessary.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

TimothyT...that sounds like a pepper I'd like to try. Your description fits what I would want in a paprika ("are spicy, mildly sweet,and mildly warm,but not hot").

Yes, I used to freeze nearly all my peppers in the past. Didn't even blanch them, as many people insist on doing. (Not necessary.)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We have raised, dehyrated, and then ground and used Paprika Supreme for several years. They take forever to mature here in central Missouri, but it is worth the wait. They make a nice fresh eating pepper too.

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Shoe,

You don't have to blanch peppers? I need to find out how to freeze Large peppers for chili relenos. Seems like they get mushy and then I don't like them. Freeze them like strawberries???? Thanks, Jul

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I have frozen whole peppers and tomatoes. You can slice the pepps after a couple of minutes out ,wait longer and they get too soft but this is ok if you just want to chop and add to something. 'Maters ....Hold under hot running water about 30 sec and you can slide the skins right off. >^,,^< SB

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Jul...frozen whole peppers will be terrible for relenos. They'll thaw out and be mush. I only freeze peppers, in slices or chunks, for sautee'ing or for soups/stews.

Sure do wish we could figger out how to preserve a pepper and keep it "fresh-like" tho! That would be great in January, eh?

Yeh that would be great! So the answer is no... oh well, maybe someone will come up with something one day.

Thanks Shoe! Check out the squash pics I sent. Jul

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe....great pics! Thanks! :>)

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Shoe, i broil or roast peppers. marinate them in garlic and olive oil. i keep them in the refrigerator, otherwise i freeze them for winter use. when lazy, i just freeze the broiled/roasted peppers. of course i never tried them on releno. hmmmmm some experiment need to be done sometime soon ;).

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

MaVie...I love to roast them! I have some "Big Chile" peppers coming on strong now. I like to stuff them with cheese and either broil them or put them on the grill!~ Mercy me!...tastes so good it'll turn your hair red! I declare! (Sometimes I wrap bacon around them as a special treat.)

My garlic harvest is in now, so I'm sure I'll be doing some more of your fried garlic recipe, perhaps this week. Bet that would be great oil to marinate the peppers in!

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Time to eat!

(note...cheese will drip when melted so you may want to try this with them on foil OR slightly cook the bacon first, then wrap the peppers.)

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

oh yummy!!! i got some pepper as big as what u got there. i think i will try it tomorrow. i broil them 1st... to take off the skin and seeds. then insert cheese inside. i spray with spam, if not rub the pepper with softened butter. roast on a grill with a catch trap underneath to avoid heavy smoke in the house. roasting or broiling first does give the pepper it's very distinctive taste. my son often wonders how mine taste different from what he makes. he failed to do the extra step i take. thanks Shoe, that sure look very delicious.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

MaVie, there is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind, you are gonna make improvements on this way of cooking the peppers! (There've been times when the bacon isn't done, and the cheese melts entirely too soon!) (Shhh..that's why I lightly cook the bacon first sometimes.)

Next time I make them I may make them into "hobo". Wrap them in foil, and cover them w/cooked bacon (or semi-cooked) before sealing the foil.

Looking forward to hearing from ya!

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

instead of 350*F, use 400*F preheated oven of course. u can do this w/out wrapping in foil. apparently the oven is not hot enough for the bacon to cook. try to enclose the cheese inside. cooking 400*F, everything will cook at the same time.

the reason why ur cheese melts too fast is cause it is exposed. try to 'hide' the cheese inside the pepper. wrap bacon tightly and secure bacon with toothpick. see how that will work.

edited to add: try blanching the bacon 1st. then wrap securely on the pepper. do not wrap with foil, wrapping with foil... the fat of the bacon will not drip out ... just get into ur food. u do not need that extra fat. hope this will work for u.

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 23rd 8:50 PM

My mouth is wattering just looking at these pictures. I would never have thought to wrap bacon around peppers!!

Guess I could make this with sweet long Marconi peppers. Wow, what a taste feast!!!!!!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Good points, MaVie...
When I have large peppers I've only cut the stem end off and can reach in with a knife to pull out the seeds, then stuff the cheese in. The peppers in the pic above were too slender so I went the "easy" way and sliced them lengthwise. I'll try your way next time! Hmmmm....wonder whats for supper tonite!

Steak and Portebella Mushrooms with roasted crookneck, pattypan with some Garlic and green Onions. A nice salad with cucumbers, tomatoes topped with homemade blue cheese/goat cheese dressing. Top that off with a glass of wine!!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh my goodness!!!! You dawg you!!! NOw I'm gonna be singing that all day long!! Yep, singing it! Sounds great!

Shoe,

Blue Cheese/Goat Cheese dressing....

Just mix garlic herb silver Goat Cheese with fresh blue cheese, some half and half, sour cream (lite) and lemon to taste. I use equal parts of both cheeses. I woosh it around with my braun mixer. I make sure I put in some chunks of cheese after I mix. I only make what I will use for the day. The dressing is a little thin, but I don't know how to make it thicker without adding lots more sour cream and less half and half. I like it with less Sour Cream. Maybe a little pepper on the salad or in the dressing. Yummy!!!!!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sounds great to me! Will keep the ingredients in mind for the next trip to the store. Much obliged!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.