Squashed Rhubarb...Help!!

Iola, WI

It took since last December (well, OK, they couldn't do it in the winter) and they finally came back to finish grading the backyard after installing the new septic system. The rhubarb wasn't up then, but it was now. And I really mean WAS.
I had about 1 doz. plants grouped in an area 3' x 5' at the edge of the area they graded. It looks like they were repeatedly backed over by the heavy machinery. Totally flattened :(
Do they have a chance? Any help would be greatly appreciated! We just bought the house in March and I'm having a ball finding all the things I would have planted anyway! I was so excited about the rhubarb!
TIA
Sue

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Sue, I think that if it's not buried it will be okay. It's still early in the year and should start putting out new leaves. Rhubarb plants really have the will to live.

Last summer my niece and one of her friends cut off every stalk of my MIL's rhubarb and she was really stressing out over that. She loves her rhubarb to the point that she won't even let me take a small start. LOL! But, it came back. And they had cut it all off to the ground.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Rhubarb has a great root system so I think if it isn't buried too deep or laying on top of the ground it will problably live if you keep watering it. Let us know how it does.

Iola, WI

Thank you for your help! I'm really stressing over this visit with the bulldozer!
The root system has not been disturbed at all, just the plants being totally crushed. Too bad for the neighbor, she asked to pick some of it and last night I offered to let her have a few plants. I guess that won't happen this year.
I'm most upset by the fact that I asked to be at home when it was done. We put our 17 year old dog to rest at the edge of the property and trans-planted some flowers to where she is laid to rest. I can't find it now. Maybe some of the Tiger Lillies will show through.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.