50+ year-old-seeds

Rutherfordton, NC(Zone 7a)

I know this question has been covered on DG before my membership, but here goes. I have six packets of 1945-50 seeds, unopened. I bought them for the packaging but now wonder if I can get any of the seeds to germinate. One packet is "Mourning Bride" (scabiosa) and then there are asters, poppies, Sweet Williams, zinnias, petunias. Anyone have any hints?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Read this thread, and try germinating them the 'deno way'. It is especially good for special and rare seeds. Works for me.

http://davesgarden.com/t/382293/

Well, I just read the thread on seed-starting and it is as helpful as anything I've read on DG!! Thank you for referring me, J_J.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, you're welcome VickieP. I think this is the best way to see if they will germinate. Also, try to find out if each type of seed needs light to germinate or not. That, too, makes a big difference. I can't express enough, how important it is to store seeds properly, so that they will last years. But 50 years? I don't know. That's a long time. But you never know. Imagine if they do germinate? Wow, that would be such a neat feeling. Good luck!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I've heard of seeds that were still viable after being stored in Egyptian toombs for centuries. Can't hurt to try, LOL!

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Vickie I dont know about your other seeds but poppy seeds are supposed to be viable even after 100 years. The only way to find out though is to sow them!:)

Lombard, IL(Zone 5a)

Talk about antique, thats an awesome find!!!!!!!!!!1Your going to tell us all how they turned right???
Lori

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Vickie - did you try to sow any of the seeds? Any luck? Curious to see how it went.

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Vicky, germination will probably depend on how the seeds were stored. Seeds, thousends of years old were found in the pyramids and germinated last century. But then, of course, storage conditions were perfect: very dry.

Anyway, I would give them a try.

Good luck,

Ursula

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

the poppy seeds may still be viable but if they are not germinated at the right temperatures they will not germinate. Poppies germinate at cool temperatures bes (55-65 degress F and will easily become stressed if grown on too warm, this not growing properly.

One item of interest however, comes this week on my allotment. When splitting open many of my seedpods I have found many of the seeds have germinated inside the pod!

I haven't yet planted the old seeds and am glad to hear the germination temperature info. I think now I will wait until late winter to try them so that (optimistically) I will be able to plant them outside when (if) any do germinate. This Southern summer has been the wettest on record - anything would mildew. My yard is aglow with mushrooms!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

My Great Grandfather had sugar snap peas for King Tuts Tomb. I dont know how he got them, or where, but my Grandma swears they grew! Unfortunately they didnt save any of the seeds, and who knows how many grew, none the less they did. I think that is just too amazing! Hope your seeds grow for you Vickie!! Good Luck! Shelly

peas and beand and such can stay dormant for thousands of years if stored correctly. forget where a found that

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.