clematis in a pot?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Have any of you successfully grown a clematis in a container? If so, what kind and size?

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I have a Henry something in a container. it's growing slowly but it's growing :)
I'll have to go look at the tag to make sure of the name but it's dark right now

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

I've seen them for sale in pots, healthy and blooming. Should be fine. Only problem could be overwintering them, depending on your zone. Remember, sometimes they look quite dead until late in the spring!

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

My clematis is not doing much and I just read somewhere they like cool soil. So the pot is not the best place for her. If you're going to keep yours in a pot, consider clay or something - and lighter, not darker. Mine is in a green plastic pot and none too happy about it. :o(

Judith

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Good point, Judith. Clematis do like their feet in the shade, and heads in the sun, as they say. I wonder if a clay pot would dry out too fast? It might provide more cooling to the roots though... I have found they take a few years to really get established, especially when planted bare-root.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Maybe double potting would be a good idea for the clematis. A clay pot inside a plastic one or vice-versa. If enough space is left between the pots, fill with moss which when dampened will help to keep cooler. Donna

Franktown, CO(Zone 5a)

I have had a purple polish spirit in a pot for about 3 yrs...keep the bottom of the pot in the shade and let the top get sun. Works for me.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. I have a Jackmanii that I have planted in an 18" pot. Will this be OK? I plan on putting the pot behind some other plants, so the pot itself won't get much if any direct sun.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Why not plant it? How old is it? Many people leave a clematis in a pot to grow great roots but there comes a time to plant it for the best interests of the plant.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I just purchased the plant. It's not really a "plant" yet though. It's just roots and a little stem about 4-5" long.

Then I'd keep it in a pot for the first year and keep it happy and fed. You could bury the pot and it would be happy to be forming roots while you decide where to put it permanently.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jlp..You can sink that pot into your garden somewhere that YOU KNOW you will remember so you can keep the soil moist (this is very important)..hard prune it (not allowing it to really grow vines so you can let it focus on getting its rootsystem established)..then come this September..pull the pot out of the soil..you will most probably see roots coming out of the bottom of the pot (that is a great sign!)..then plant it into your garden where you want it...fall planting is awesome in our area because of the wet fall and winters we have..so the roots will continue to grow all fall and winter in its new home and will be very vigorous come Spring '2009...remember to plant about 2-4 inches deeper at a slight angle towards what you want it to grow on ... than it is in that little pot and put a handful of bonemeal in the planting hole..Hope this has helped...Jeanne

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Jeanne and pirl! Can I add some of the water crystals to the pot to make sure it doesn't get too dry?

Absolutely!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Yay! I mixed some with water since last time I just put the crystals in the pot, watered and then my pot "erupted". That was a mess. I will put them in with My "Clemmie" : )

This message was edited Mar 14, 2008 7:29 PM

The easiest way to see how the water crystals expand is to put exactly 1/2 teaspoon in a 2 cup measuring container and leave it overnight. It's amazing to see how much they expand.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I've been growing 2 clematis in 5 gallon pots for 3 years now (I have no ground to plant them in) & am careful to keep their pots shaded by other pots & keep them well watered ~ they are growing just fine!

Dayton, OH

I've had Clematis growing in pots for 2 or 3 years, they grew very slowly, put them in the ground this past spring, and they are doing just fine now. By the way they flower in the spring and fall don't what kind they are.

I also bought a couple of Clematis from Royal Dutch late summer this year. One was a very small bare root and the other wasn't much bigger, so I put them flower pots, they are starting to sprout, I also put some water jugs over them and dug holes in the ground to try to protect them from the winter months. If they make it I'll think I got a good bargin because I paid $9.98 for one and $6.47 for the other. I've seen Clematis here for $24.00 and more.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.