Germinating epimedium seed ?

Landenberg, PA(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know whether epimedium seed need a cold treatment? or how long they take to germinate? I know they are ephemeral amd must be sown at once to prevent them drying (I figured this because they have a fleshy elaiosome, but finally got confirmation from a UK site) but can find nothing about needing cold treatment or not, nor anything else about them as the plants are generally multiplied by division. I love these plants, and am trying to know more about them.

George

I don't know about germination of Epimedium, they don't even self sow in the garden, but you could try contacting one of the NCCPG National Collection holders of Epimedium, we have 3 in the UK.

I've always found the NC holders very helpful people, the only one with an email address shown is Liliesleaf Nursery. I can't paste the actual page but if you run a search of Epimedium ont he site it'll give you the contact details. http://www.nccpg.com/

Landenberg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Baa,
I have not found what I'm looking for yet, but added the NCCPG site to my links list. Their list of suppliers for particular plants is impressive. Now, if they would only allow a search for those who will ship outside the EU I would not have to look at the details of every supplier
George

Might be worth making that suggestion Geoforce.

I'm a bit confused, do you mean you haven't found the NC holders of Epimedium? If so, click on 'National Collections' then on 'search for a collection'. Type in Epimedium and it'll take you to the addresses of the NC holders for the genus.

Landenberg, PA(Zone 6b)

No, I found them. Just haven't got in touch with them yet. Haven't had time to properly word a letter to them.

Thanks again

George

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Goerge, have you seen this site? Has germination info. on many, many seeds.
http://tomclothier.hort.net/

Landenberg, PA(Zone 6b)

Darius,
Yep! Already have it in my favorites list. Neither this or the one called the seed site cover epimedium however.

I found my answer though.

Plant IMMEDIATELY. No cold needed. Fairly slow germination at warm temperatures.

THANX

George

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.