Seeds in fridge for months on end?

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Anyone see a problem with storing seeds (of all types), in a a moisture-free container inside the refrigerator for months on end? Let's say up to 10 months. Seeds collected in spring, summer and fall, stored in the fridge and then taken out the next spring and planted? I've keep some seeds of wheat or cat grass as some call it (labeled that way...was bought to grow for the cat to eat)...and these seeds grew just fine after being in the fridge for maybe 1 year.

It just seems to me that they'd be better off staying cool for a long time since it would better preserve them. Is that a correct assumption?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Your assumption is correct! Storing properly dried seeds in a moisture free container in the fridge is the preferred way of storing them ... if you want them to last longer, like several years.

Even dried seeds in their dormant states, react with their environment such as moisture, light, and temperature. So, to prolong their life, you need to keep their metabolism operating at the lowest possible level by minimizing their exposure to moisture, light and temperature.

I put my "very dried" seeds in zip-lock baggies along with a little silica gel packet (available at camera stores) to keep any moisture away. You can also wrap some dry milk in a bit of paper tissue, wrap some string or rubber band around it, and place that in the zip-lock baggy along with the seeds. But silica gel packets are better. Then putting them in the fridge takes care of the light and temperature issues ... dark and cool. :D

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Ok, good. I had thought that was a good thing to do, but I was worried I'd do something wrong and ruin all of them. I may have to find some of that silica stuff. I used to put them in a semi-sealed container, in paper bags, with paper towels to absorb any moisture. I avoided plastic to try to avoid any condensation. But I guess the temp would have to change enough for there to be any condensation...and it shouldn't inside the fridge.

Thanks

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Let your package or jar come to room temp.before opening it to remove seeds.That way,moisture won't condense on the inside and harm the seeds you may be leaving there.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Jon I have kept seeds in my fridge for years and people are always telling mw how well they germinate. All I use is an icecream tub with a good seal on it and put all seeds into paper envelopes. The trick is to make sure your seeds are thoroughly dried before storing them away.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.