my new garden scoot

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Kooger, did you say you found it with swivel front wheels and adjustable seat, or did you say you were still looking for it?

I found this thread after it was bumped and read through it. If no one has found one, I had a suggestion or two to add for improvements on the original.

What about the mechanism that operates office chair seats, for up and down? Some require that you stand up before raising them, so that would sort of defeat the purpose. But a heavier hydraulic type would work. It might make it too heavy to handle though.

A tractor seat might work better. It's been a really long time since I've been on one. (30 years!!!) LOL But as I recall, they were padded and pretty comfortable, adjustable.

Since this is a common need for so many people, surely some enterprising person has designed one that works well for the purposes we need.

It could come with "additional available features packages," that you could choose to buy or not, like cars do:
Cup holder, tray, umbrella, basket
Hook-up with mini low level wagon for plant trays and such, Windshields for bugs, wipers for rain, complete enclosures with a/c, for us Floridians, heehee.
Automatic tanks with sprayers for bugs, fungicide, mold, liquid fertilizer
Well, one can wish!!!!

Actually I've always wondered why they don't make a small personal tent of some kind, that could include a dehumidifier, an air-cooling hose with fan to circulate a cooler breeze. If they can make a plug-in house vacuuming system, and oxygen tents, why not plug-ins to the household a/c system from outside.

I don't mean to sound facetious at all, because Lord knows I could use mobility help. But they have tractors with mod-cons. Why not garden-mobiles, mini-swivel-wheel golf carts???

As we get older and more disabled, the heat and humidity, the bugs, as well as the sun, the cold and the wind, are harder to tolerate. We have to be out there longer, because everything takes us longer!

And why on earth not consider that once we get down, assistance in getting up is essential? Once I get down, I have to get over on all fours to get up, or have something to pull up on. And I'm not that much overweight or old! Where is the "I gotta have it" "boomer generation" when we really need it????

These people could really make money here!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Same with me - all fours most of the time. And until my hands are better I can't put weight on them with my wrists bent. I would like one of those plastic benches that flips to become a kneeling pad with handles. I've seen metal ones, too, and wonder which are better.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I can't use those. I can't sit on anything that narrow without causing more back problems. Wish they had a full padded seat. That would work! The covering could be vinyl. Knees would be happier too with a wider space and padding.

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

seems to me we should miniaturize a golf cart with a swivel tractor type seat ....but i don't know how it wouldn't cost a fortune....

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Yes, I found the regular 'scoot' in Gardener's Supply and about the same time DH found the one with swivel wheels on the front and an adjustable seat. It also has a small basket on the back besides the shelf underneath. Put 'Garden Scoot' in the google search box and you'll get a whole bunch of sites. I didn't find it there yet b/c this dumb virus has knocked out some system files and they wouldn't all open. I found the good one on ebay but you guys can't bid on it till I get mine! lol

Doc also asked me if I was gardening on my knees (before the 'swan dive') and I said yes but on a foam pad or else I take cardboard boxes apart and lay them lengthwise next to my row and I can crawl quite a ways before having to move them. Doc said good, at my age I should never be kneeling on the hard ground (getting close to 50) because I'll pay for it later - too hard on the knees!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

hi folks.. i started a thread about a pneumatic/swivel seat previously. you can check it out here.
http://davesgarden.com/t/423037/

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

aaahhhhh! 'at my age' - haha - getting close to 50 - now i feel old, very old

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

sorry! hh 'close to 50' in comparison to 'close to 30'! That doesn't help, does it! lol I love my doc, he takes my shoulder and gives it a gentle shake and says, 'Laura, you're not 20 anymore, you have to quit doing these things to yourself!' Like I intentionally crash? :)

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

haha - don't ya just love it! at least my mind and spirit is still 25!

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Here' the answer about the Deluxe Garden Rocker:

"I’ve had about 5 or 6 problems similar out of 60,000+ garden rockers. Defects happen in every product and its unavoidable. Its likely that this person unfortunately came upon one of those where the part does not process and fill 100% in the mold. Thanks"

GW - email me directly if you'd like to try one. My DH weighs 180 and finds the seat extremely comfortable [and non-breakable]

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Thanks hh! I returned mine to Menard's - was on sale for $15. Glad to hear that I got a fluke because I think it is a good idea! I decided to buy a 'Garden Scoot' because the doc wants me pretty much off the knee and you do use your knees all the time with the 'rocker'. He told me to get a cart with big wheels so that's what I did!

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

you definitely can't beat that price - did it include the cushioned seat?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

no, just the plastic seat.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

How about a large beach umbrella, you know, the large type that you stick in the sand only we would use it with our scoots? I think this would work quite well and keep us in the shade! What do you think?

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

k - phew! thanks! the cushioned seat makes all the difference in the world though - wouldn't use the rocker without it

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

excellent plan, Tplant. Add drink holders, a radio stand, a personal fan,... lol

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Drink holders, radio stand, fan...No doubt! I want to get a small 5' beach umbrella, the type with the spike at one end. I had one last year and used it a lot while gardening; it disappeared to the land of mismatched socks. How DOES something as big as a beach umbrella get misplaced??

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Wrong boxcar of time.

The workers just forgot to bring it forward at the time you looked. Look again. Maybe they've remembered to include it in this one.

(TV show)

Happens to us a lot!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Sounds like something from Dr. Who - am I right?

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

you're dating yourself - but, i LOVED that show!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I watched it when it was at this point: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/doctors/doctor4.shtml And I think it was in re-runs. Kinda had a crush on this Doctor. ;)

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

that's the only doctor who i know!

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

GW, no, seems it was that guy who did three wierd stories in 1 hour. Like the cat, the kid with the furry thing running around, and the extreme stop smoking with electric grid. It wasn't in that one, but a later one, I think. Maybe Stephen King???? or someone of his kind of fame.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ray Bradbury, maybe?

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Could be. I don't think it's in my memory banks anymore. Obviously I didn't pay attention to the writer/director enough to remember it!! But it was interesting, only remember two, specials, I think.

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

check this out folks - saw it in the new catalog from sharper image.....needs a few minor adjustments to be 'perfect' - but who's got an extra grand anyway?
http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview.jhtml?sku=JD063

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Okay, here's the Garden Scoot. I posted the 'scoot' alone in the photos forum. Here's me, Barney and the 'scoot'. And where would I be without my 'shoes'??

Thumbnail by kooger
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Kooger! You're a lot younger than I thought you were, for some reason. Nice to see ya!

Are those clogs comfortable?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Some days I don't feel young - will be 49 this year! Where did the years go!?! Actually, I would wear my klompen more often if I didn't have surgery on my left foot in my teens - the scar gets irritated because it's right on the top and rubs on the wood. Sometimes I stuff in some foam - my dad wears them all the time in the garden and with all the rain we've had, they are great on soggy ground. That's why they were developed by the Dutch and surrounding areas - for use on the polders (reclaimed land from the sea) - because the land is so low, below sea level, they must be constantly drained so therefore it tends to be quite moist/wet land. :) now class!...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, I'll be...Never knew that about clogs. And, of course, you'd float in them, seeing's how they're wood and all, right? ;)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

cute, gw! LMBO! especially if the dyke gave way and you don't have a little boy with a big thumb! One of the biggest surprises you'll have when visiting Spaarndam, the Netherlands, is the monument to the boy with his thumb in the dyke. The joke is, the story is a fictional tale written by and American author. HA HA! So many Yanks were asking to see the city the boy was from, Spaarndam obliged and built a monument!! (only in America...!!!)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That's hilarious! I remember hearing of that story, figured it was fiction. Either that or the kid was made of plumber's putty!

kooger, Where did you buy your scoot? It's different from mine. Do you have a break on yours? It looks like it! I bought mine from Gardeners Supply.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I bought mine on ebay. I looked at the Gardener's supply one but it doesn't have any steering. I wanted steering but it doesn't have a brake tho. Probably what lookes like a brake in the pic is the steering arm. It's not very long - DH plans to put a longer handle on it for me. (By the time he gets around to it, my knee will probably be healed up. lol) I missed the auction and emailed the guy and bought it from him direct. I tried to find the Garden Scoot company on the internet but had no luck - was hoping I could get a better price buying direct. LMK if you want the guy's email addy - I'll look it up.

No Thanks, I have the one from Gardeners. I was just curious.

Northern, IN

You might want to read "Notes from a 66 year old Polio victim" in this Forum for an alternative.

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

hey everybody, pep boys has an electric scooter that is only $399. that's less than i paid for my used manual wheelchair. the down side is that ther is only one wheel in the front so watch out for those sharp turns.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I didn't know Pep Boys sold that kind of thing. Wild! We have one in town, but I've never been in it. I always assumed they were just another auto parts store like NAPA.
http://www.pepboys.com/transportation/personal_transportation/personal_transportation.html They sell online through eBay, looks like. Love those scooters of theirs! It would be so fun to have a scooter for my photo expeditions - easy to pull off the back roads and get shots.

Northern, IN

You might get more for your money if you first shop your local classified ads for used scooters. Mine cost $300 and I use it both indoors and out.

Northern, IN

Just a quick pic to illustrate that my scooter is not just an outdoor novelty. It is precisely because of the single front wheel drive that it is nimble enough to use everywhere indoors and forever eliminate my need for a $6000 power chair -- also, nimble enough for making the tight turns needed in gardening. An extremely trivial trade off for the fact that it might be a little tricky on "tight turns". Something, I quickly and easily adjusted to. Also, It breaks down to fit in my trunk for all the trips I take with each part being light enough for me to easily handle.

All this, just FYI.

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.