some Geraniums flowering May 30th

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Rozanne opned her first flower today

Thumbnail by mark

Geranium platyanthum var. Reinii

Thumbnail by mark

Geranium pratense my selection

Thumbnail by mark
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

They're all very good - wish I'd bought Rozanne last year

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Here is my Geranium platyanthum var. Reinii. Not quite the same colour as yours.

Thumbnail by psilo

I see.

I got mine from Judith last year so it could be a mistake as I have 2 other mistakes among those bought at the same time. Orion turns out to be 'Mrs Kendall Clarke' and ibericum is 'Sirak'

Mine came from Judith too. They look very similar apart from the colour. Maybe they are just different colour strain? I too have bought geraniums from judith and they turned out to be different. Also my Janets specials are coming up to flowering. I am really looking forward to seeing how they come out.

I was at a friends house today for a wee skive while I was in the area.

Her 'Orion' bought at Judith's looks like this.

Thumbnail by mark

eh now that is nice! What on earth is it then. I think alot of her plants got mixed up this year because her husband started yo help her out more. I bought Orion from her last year and it is the real macoy so she has some somewhere! LOL I will be going up sometime soon and I will let her know if you like. She usually gives replacements if they fail or if they are incorrect.

whats the difference between 'Roseum' and 'Rose Queen'?

I now have another excellent pink seedling.

Thumbnail by mark

I hope you are not asking me? LOL cos I dont know. I have grown alot of ROseum seedlings this year so it will be interesting to see what they are like next year. I have never knowingly seen Rose Queen.

Where has this pink seedling come from?

yep I'm asking you. It was a seedlings that I failed to weed.

Mark according to the official register Roseum is an invalid name. The entry for Rose Queen says
"Selected by David Hibberd from Pratense plants circulating under the invalid name of Roseum."

so it looks like they are one and the same but should be classified as Pratense Rose Queen.

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Mark, your blooms are lovely, as are yours Psilo,,but I never before realized how very confusing it can be to purchase different plants. I'm afraid it will be impossible for me to keep my plants and gardens in the proper categories and I know it's important to do so. Mind sharing your tips on how you keep things organized?

Andrew says the same.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm bewitched...totally!! These are stunning and I love the pale Orion and other seedling. So psilo and Mark, can you recommend some new low growing plants that boast the character of the sanguineums?

Louisa the seedling that Mark showed was not a pale Orion but a pale Pratense Seedling (I think) that has somehow got mixed up!
One geranium that I have been growing for about three years now and proves more hardy than it looks is Geranium Farerii Im sure ive spelt that wrong but cant check it right now). It is about 20cms high and has quite a lot of flowers. It needs good drainage but will tolerate quite alot of winter wet and cold.

Thumbnail by psilo

Also if you like Macrorrhizum then Velebit is an excellent dwarf form. It grows to about 20cms and has a very compact habit. Again it is very hardy.

Thumbnail by psilo

There are also of course quite a few hybrids that have sanguineum as one of their parents. These include geraniums such as Diva, Dilys and Khan.
The photo below if Khan. A very vigorous grower. It spreads more vigorously than sanguineum and the flowers are much bigger.

Thumbnail by psilo
Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks psilo - good info and now, if only I can find the plants over here. I have the taller Macrorrhizums and know how excellent a ground cover they are. I particularly like Kahn as I have much ground to fill around the new patio and would do well with the roses. Farerii would be just the plant near the Icebergs. I've been steadily making notes of all the newer geraniums, well....new to me. I'm really grateful for all inputs here.

louisa I think I have some seeds for Farerri and Mac Velebit. If you are interested send me your address and Ill send you some.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes please Psilo, although I really wasn't hinting....true!! :-) I'll mail you.

No problem Louisa, my pleasure! :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Just mailed you psilo!! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.