Do Peas Need a Trellis?

Blue Springs, MO(Zone 5b)

I have a few pea plants around my yard that are looking good! I've never grown veggies before - do peas need a trellis? I searched a bit and am wondering if just a couple sticks w/thread zig-zagged across might do the trick - here's a pic of one of them!

Thumbnail by TamTam
Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

if you have them planted close they can use each other to hold themselves up. if you have them farther apart you can use some support.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes, also depends on the variety. Some will grow very tall, and require support. Others remain small and, like farmgirl said, when planted thickly will support each other. Those short varieties would be Little Marvel and Laxton's Progress No 9, just to name two of my favorites.

Here is a pic of LP#9 planted broadcast style. (And please note, contrary to popular belief that onions and peas don't grow well together, these folks are lookin' mighty happy!)

Thumbnail by Horseshoe

Wow - LOTS of peas in your pic!! I was so thrilled - one of my plants flowered today - I take it that's a good sign!! :) I see what you guys mean - those little pea threads grabbed onto the grass - I tried to pull the tall grass but quickly decided I better leave it!! Fun!! Thanks for your help!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh my...that flower will turn into a pea pod...soon you'll be munching a very nice tender sweet pod of peas! You'll be ruint for life then! Go for it! Yeehaw! :>)

LOL - I can't wait for those peas!!!!! Munch 'em straight out of the garden - wheeeee!!! Have to share with Lewy, tho, I did start this veggie stuff for him, after all. Check him out if you have time, we "rescued" him - a Giant Green Iguana - over four feet now!! :) (He eats ALOT!!)
http://www.msnusers.com/Pics4Family

Thumbnail by TamTam
Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

oh my, he's too cute. I used to have one that looked just like him :)
Couldn't keep him anymore when I lived in an apartment but found him a wonderful home :)

Wow - small world!! Sounds like you cared alot, to find him a good home - lucky iggy!!! It was a momentous day today, I actually picked greens (brassica family) that I GREW to feed him! Great feeling - almost as exciting as flowers on the peas!! :)

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Tam-Tam...Like you I plants lots of extras for my Bearded Dragon...including peas...hee hee. What a handsome boy you have there...I love to hear about rescues. Too many people buy these exotics and have no real idea of the cost for housing and food. He sure looks like a happy guy.

oooops...this is a pea thread..haha. I planted Little Marvels last year and they did so well, I used the same pea this year. I planted them closed together and they did just find holding each other up with out a trellis.

WaWild1

Yes...Eh-Hem...Back to peas - I had FIVE peas!!! You were SO right, I am hooked!!! I was nice & shared, but now I have lots more coming and plan on sneaking QUITE a few more than my share! ;) I'll have to take pics, it's great how the other plants are holding up the pea plants here & there - really cool!!! No Trellis Needed - Final Answer!!! :)

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Peas, eating them fresh out of the garden, oh! What a DELITE!

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I love peas too and always have to grow plenty. The taller varieities need some support and we do it by pushing in plenty of sticks. The peas grab hold of them and support each other.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.