Geraniums - The Complete Encyclopedia

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

why didnt an expert who obviously knows her stuff call her new book "Pelargoniums - The Complete Encyclopedia" http://www.schifferbooks.com/crafts/horticulture/0764317385.html

It has 490 colour photos on 176 pages. It's not out yet but it's on my wish list at Amazon.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

yes. All this does is carry on the confusion that still exists when talking about geraniums or pelargoniums!

and the official reason on the title

"Faye mentioned this, and the reason was that although the true collectors are
aware of the difference, many gardeners are not. The title shows the common
name, and the opening of the book explains the difference. Most people
recognize the word "geranium" even if they don't recognize "pelargonium""

makes sense I suppose!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

But not to title the book like that with no mention of Pelargoniums SURELY! A complete cop out

As you say psilo, it just compounds the confusion instead of helping to clarify the situation. How can people learn to use the correct name when experts do things like this!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I probably wouldn't have given this book a second glance judging by the title and if my eyesight serves me correctly, aren't those pictures on the front pelargoniums???? I agree with your comments entirely!! But thanks to you Mark I shall buy this one, although I shall probably seethe every time I look at the front cover.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Yes, it's SO irritating isn't it Louisa - a perfect opportunity missed!!

As far as I know the book doesn't contain any information about geraniums at all

I have just been asked by a gardening mag to write an answer regarding a readers query about how Pelargonium and geranium classifications got mixed up in the first place. Lets hope people read it and take note!

I hope so

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

It's all the fault of the retailers of course and I wish they would get the message - the educating starts with them, especially for the novices. When I started to take an interest in gardening, I raided the library first.

Louisa, mistakes in naming are rife in the world of hardy geraniums. Unfortunatly you see it everywhere, in the garden centres, in magazines and in books too. I bought a book last year about hardy geraniums which had some wonderful photos in it but alas half of the titles were wrong!! if the books get it wrong what chance have the public got? Who knows, maybe I dont know anything either!!! :))

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

You're right of course. Something just came to me as I was reading your post and thinking to myself in whom do we place our trust and then of course I thought of the University of Cambridge Botanical Gardens which houses a few national collections, the hardy geranium being one of them but they also do scientific studies too. After seeing all the geraniums that you folk have posted, I think you could possibly give the University a few pointers too!!

http://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/geranium1.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.