First Zucchini

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Here it is, my very first zucchini :)

Thumbnail by flowox
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh, I wish mine would hurry up! :-D. I love zucchini. I'm going to try to train them on a trellis this year, do you do that also?

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

no, it's still a fairly small plant so no need to train it. I'm just gonna let it crawl all over the deck........LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

look how big it's gotten already...........almost time to pick it :)

Thumbnail by flowox
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Yum! Mine are coming along, but still slow for me! LOL!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Oh, I'm jealous! Mine are still seeds in the ground. I think I got a bad batch of seeds, because I think they should have been up and growing by now. But with all the rain and cold weather we've had, maybe they just rotted. Gonna get a new package as soon as I can get to town.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

sorry to hear that Joan :(
Let me know how the others are doing when you get them planted. I just love zucchini :)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't get my Zuch's to set. They fower, but then the blooms fall off. The plants (2) is great. They get water, are not soggy and I feed miracle grow once per month. I bought them (they came as a pair from Home Depot) and planted them about 2 monts ago. Plants are quite big. In a wet spell, some leaves got powdery white spots. I have since given the plant a 10% haircut. Thought too much energy going into the plant. Seems like some blooms come on fat stems and some on skinny stems? Do I need to pollinate the blooms? Help.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

the fatter stems should turn into zucchini, that's what mine did. Mine have those spots on too. I already ate the first one and will pick the second one in a couple of days. I do have some stems that just have blooms and no zucchini

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

There are male and female flowers, guys. The females have what appears to be a very tiny squash at their bases. Those are the overies, and will turn into zukes once pollination takes place. The males merely have thin stems attaching them to the plant.

All of the male flowers, and many of the females, will fall off without producing fruit. Usually males are produced first (as much as two weeks before females). And, if the plants are stressed, particularly from high heat, they won't set females at all.

Hand pollinating helps if you have a low insect population.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

oh wow, I didn't know that at all. Guess I have enough insects around as I keep getting a new zuke :)

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

flowox...I'm sooo jealous! Last year something ate all my seedlings...thought it was cut worms..but alas it was not...still no idea what got them...this year I'm trying again...my little guys are just getting their 2nd set of leaves...ohhh I can't wait!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I sprayed mine down with Schultz Garden Safe Fungicide 3 so they'd be safe from being eaten..........lol

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Flowox...I'll have to pick some up today!

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

beautiful zuchini susan, how do you like yours? i like mine fried mmmmmm yummmy or zuchinni bread mmmmmm yummmy. Tracy

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

We eat our baby zukes raw with ranch dressing. If we happen to have to work late one day and they get too big for that we either fry them, or I peel, core, and cut them into rounds, then steam them a bit and cover them with cream and velveeta cheese. My kids can eat a huge bowl of it like this. DH likes this on his baked potatoes.

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

mmmm sounds yummy can't wait to try it. thanks, joanj for the alternatives to frying and baking

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

They're wonderful sauteed (sp) in a little butter with salt and pepper and maybe a sprinkle of parmesan cheese after it gets on your plate. Also great in stir frys, or with tomatoes, onions, celery and garlic and served over rice. Add to green salads. BBQ.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I used to like them battered and fried but since I can't eat them that way any more due to this diet, I just either sautee them in some butter and garlic or throw them sliced on the grill :)

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

My mouth is now watering for zuchinni, hope mine start coming in soon. Tracy

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh my, my mouth is now watering too! If you are able to get a few small ones with the flower still attached...pick a few and fry, stir fry or saute the flower right along with the fruit! I lived in Italy for several years and this is how they cook their's...the flower is yummy too! WaWild1

This message was edited Wednesday, Jun 11th 10:47 AM

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

the flower too? I'll have to try that! Tracy

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I'm getting ready to go out and pick my second one :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.