Morning Glory and Moon Flower

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I have just started several of these climbers this Spring. I planted them in an open area to grow over a trellis and give shade to the bench under it. I chose them because they grow fast. The rest of the area around them is grass...I just put small beds beside the trellis.

I've been reading in here and see that many people do not like them. Also that they become invasive and will take over. If I train them to climb the trellis and keep the vines off the ground...will I still end up with them everywhere? Any ideas on how to keep them contained to just this area...is it possible? I'm fighting Oxialis right now...the ground cover type...sure don't want another pest to have to worry about later.

I love them, but this is my first time growing them. After reading some of the comments, I'm tempted to pull them all up before they get any bigger.

Thank you for the input...WaWild1

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

the problem with MG's is that they seed rapidly and the seeds tend to fall all over the place so they'll come up in unexpected places :)
I do love them too though and grow them every year. I just pull the seedlings out where I don't want them

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I'm doing the same, Susan. But it is worth the trouble because those MGs are gorgeous! It is not difficult to pull the little seedlings out that is why it does not make me sick of that job. Also, the rainwater carries the fallen seeds to unusual places!

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

sbarr < --- MG grower- even to the point of hosting two co-ops for them and ordering some from Japan. I grow them in fairly controlled areas - residential yard. They do self-sow (within a small area), but they easily can be pulled up. Here's the irony - mine probably don't self-sow much because I'm busy collecting the seeds so that I can trade them.

So, in a residential yard that you have control over - I don't see a big problem with them - you don't like them another year, pull any that have self-sowed.

Now, for me - I detest maple seeds. They look like tiny propellers and thousands populate all over the yard and require months of pulling up.

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Well I guess I can be added to the MG grower list...I've always loved the plant and after all the positative comments...will let them GROWWW!

Thank you all for such great comments...WaWild1

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

My moon flower and MGs are not growing very fast. The seedlings starting popping out about a month ago. They are growing very, very slowly. The tallest are only about 6". Was I wrong to think these grew like weeds and very fast?

Any suggestions on what I can do to encourage faster growth. I have been feeding them every 2 weeks with Miracle Grow. Thank you for any and all advice. WaWild1

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

oops forgot to add the pic

Thumbnail by WaWild1
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I know it's been too cold here for them to do very much. Morning glories just sorta sit there until it gets nice and warm. Give them time. They'll take off soon.

I'd go easy on the miracle grow too. It's likly to cause a lot of foliage growth with few flowers. They like to be watered well but fertilizing really isn't necessary.

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you poppysue! We have not had consistant heat at all this year. The daytime temps around 75-80 and falls to lower 60's or colder at night. Thanks for the Miracle Grow tip too. Patti

Penfield, NY(Zone 6a)

WaWild1, my MG and moonflowers are doing the same thing. Just sitting there. But today was 90 and all week is suppose to be hot, so if cool temperatures are the problem, they should take off now. I grew Star of Yelta last year and I noticed a few seedlings starting in the same place. It will be interesting to see if they look the same as last year as I had planted Heavenly Blue nearby and they could have been cross-pollinated. I love them too. Good luck with yours and thanks, poppysue for all the information. I was about to feed them but won't now.

Holland, MI(Zone 6a)

Do Morning Glories require a trelis? I seem to remember their growing up a pole on their own. I have a untility pole in the back corner which I think might be a prime location.

Birdsall
Grand Haven MI
fb1229@chartermi.net

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

They'll grow up a pole if it is textured enough for the vine to twine around. I've tried to grow them up conduit poles. They twined around the pole but kept sliding down and all the vine was in a heap at the bottom. Wrapping some string around the pole gave them enough to cling onto so they could climb upward.

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

We've had a few really hot days this past week and my MG are starting to climb. I'm so excited. I'm trying to grow them on a smooth metal type trellis...it took forever for the first few runner to latch on. I always thought they would climb anything...but am seeing they don't. Thank you poppysue for the info. I'm going add some string for them today. This is my first time growing MG.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.