Leeks

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

My leeks are growing flower heads, should I cut them off?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

yep! cut 'em off!
This will encourage the leeks to keep growing taller.

Hope you are hilling them up so there is more white part.

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Hilling them up? Like potatoes? This is my first time growing leeks and I think I need to know more about them! I planted seeds and they're up, but they sure look tiny. Will they grow into those wonderful-looking leeks I see at the grocery store? Or are these a two year crop? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

yes, they'll grow up. Feed them well.
As they grow, pull up the dirt around them from each side of the row. This will blanch the stem and make the white part longer, meaning more edible leek. If they are really small and flowering it sounds like they could use a good side-dressing.
You're gonna luv em!

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, HS. I'll do that when they start to get some size. Sure didn't know to do that! But they still look like little blades of grass right now. And they aren't flowering yet. I'm really looking forward to them.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Horseshoe. I would love for these leeks to get 'just a little taller'. I've hilled them up about 2 - 3" at the base.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sue, Leeks are one of the few vegetables I grow successfully (along with garlic and shallots), and I grow them because leeks are too expensive to buy in the stores, LOL. I usually grow a summer variety, and also another variety that will keep in the ground through most of the winter. Sometimes digging the winter ones is a chore if the ground is very frozen, but well worth the effort.

I plant mine in a trench about 6" deep so it's easier to add soil to blanch them. Right now, my seedlings look like spindly grass about 4" tall, but already I drool at the thought of leek recipes.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Daris, I planted a ton last season to overwinter. Expensive little buggers! I use them often because my son doesn't like onions and I can sneak these in! One of my favorites is potato and leek soup. I have another crop started. I like the trench method, and I will have to remember to do this next time. I garden in 4' squares and pile the dirt around the base as they grow. It would be easer to start with the trench! LOL! Newbie here!

I have a bunch of garlic bulbs growing in a flower bed (ran out of space). My first time growing garlic. The leaves are about 6-8" high now, I'm thinking about moving them over to the veggie bed.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sue... If you transplant garlic at this stage, please post here how well they do. I may want to do that at some point. As I'm getting my house ready to sell, I haven't started much this year, just heirloom tomatoes in pots. If garlic transplants well, I may start some....

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Ok, will let you know Darius!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.