Red Flowered Moonflower from Co-op

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Hey Ya'll...my red flowered moonflowers are growing by leaps and bounds...can't wait for blooms...but, I have a question.
Mine has light green rubbery "Bumps", (I almost thought they were thorns) all along the main vine stem...TONS of them...does yours??
It is really cool...hope it is not a disease

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Would love to see a red-flowered moonflower..Sounds so pretty.. Do you have botanical name for it? Thanks..
Larkie

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

It was just called Red Flowered Yugao

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

The google.com search I did gave me a thread from DG that said it is a morning glory. Do a search for Calonyction muricatum and the thread will come up. The information is mid-way down the thread.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

ArtyMiss, If the red flowered moonflowers make seed I would like to trade for some. I did not get any in the seed that I got from the co-op.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Me, too, pretty, pretty please!!!! I can try to find you whatever you might really want in exchange!!!!

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

busybee - your seeds are on the way.

Morph - I am flat out, but I know several of the folks got large packets. Hopefully someone will be willing to trade.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

thanks, sbarr :) what a treasure this plant is!!!

Hopefully we'll have another co-op next winter!

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks very much, Sandra. Yours are on their way also.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Kay, the one I found said purple not red. Isn't there a difference? I'm wondering just how invasive it will be. I have the lavender vine as well as the red one. I sure don't want to be pulling vines all next summer. Guess I'll just have to do a seed check daily. Mine has one nice bud on it right now.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I would like to get in line for some if anyone has some to share :)

polarbear_77

I'm going to have to get in on these co-ops.
I missed lots of good vine seeds. Vines are
my favorite. Wish i could have got in on the
morning glories too! Dang nabbit.lol. Hope you
all post pictures of all the blooms. I can't
wait to see them.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Maybe we are talking about two different plants. If so, I am sorry. Here is one of the many reference pictures I found on google.com.

http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/PCD2522/htmls/52.html

Tokyo, Japan

KayJones - the link you provided is of the species. The seeds from the coop were hybrids, possibly from that species. That help? ;)

Brugie - the picture in the catalog was red, but in the original coop forum someone mention a new purple cultivar from Japan that was now in the States. If your "red" moonflowers are...*purplish red* I wouldn't be surprised. (sigh) The Japanese have a wierd sense of color - a "green light" here is a "blue light" although you and I would swear it's as green as sbarr's thumb....

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Well, give me Sandra's green thumb and I'll be happy. I'll be happy with the Moon Flower vine no matter what color it is. I'm hoping that in Iowa where we get those terrible cold winters that the seed would not come up the next year anyway. I'll collect for next spring's plants. Thanks for the info on color.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

How did y'all start your MG seeds? Did you soak them & nick them at all? Thx in advance :)

P.S. Arty, check out the mail call forum :)

P.P.S. Thanks, sbarr, for your leads!!!

Morph - I follow a version of the Deno method and nick them slightly and soak them in a damp paper towel until they sprout (in plastic bag). For these, if I recall, takes about 2-3 days. Then I put them in pots and covered with about 1/2 inch of soil or so. Worked great for me - did this with all of my different varieties and succeeded with all of them.

I just put about half of my pots outside yesterday and am getting ready to go home and check.

Wish me luck!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

GOOD LUCK, sbarr!!! ☺

Thanks for the tip. I do like that Deno method for my other seeds so I'm going to take your advice and do that. Merci beaucoup!

Ohhhhhhhh, ArtyMiss....read it in "Mail Call" - heard you were going to post.....*yooooooooooo hoooooooooooo*

8:31 pm - waiting

8:35 pm - the anticipation grows

8:45 pm - Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, the suspense!

AHA! In another thread. Everyone - go look!!!

This message was edited Monday, Jun 9th 9:29 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.