Finally sprouted those darn spuds!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This was a picture taken last week. I have since cut them off and have them rooting in water. I couldn't do the potatoes in water because the cat wouldn't stay out of the water! LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

could you explain to me how to get them to sprout? I would like to try one too :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

wow, those look good! once they are about 3" or so, take them off
and put the sprouts in water a couple of days, they make roots real
fast. (that's a very good way to do it, beats jars everywhere, I hope I
remember this next year:)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Done did. :)

Edited to say, weird reflection in the jar! LOL

This message was edited Sunday, May 18th 3:29 PM

Thumbnail by Badseed
Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow Chele you did good. I see 2 for me and 1 for you 3 for me and 1 for you . lol I am glad you got them to sprout!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Those are sweet potatoe vines, right? I've had mine in a shallow pan of water for about a month, but no vines. Roots, yes, but no vines. Husband put a small towel over the whole lot about a week ago because he remembers his grandpa sprouting sweet potatoe vines in the dark cellar. Anyone have a hint to inspire these spuds to sprout?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Peggy!
Patience Fuschia, patience. They seem to have taken forever. I am still waiting for the Marguerites. They are just starting to get tiny leaves.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

yep, I used a jar, and they didn't sprout until the whole jar was full of roots. then they never want to stop sprouting.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey tiG, did you get the Ace of Spades to sprout? I am so dying for more of that! Had heard of it but never seen it locally. I went to cala's last summer and she shared some with me. I LOVE IT!! LOL It looks awesome with the Lotus bertholotti as does Blackie. :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

no, I didn't have that one left. sorry. I started to get one at the nursery this weekend, but I have so much Blackie, I'll just go with it.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I finally got a few ace of spades sprouts. It seems to me that it has taken forever this year for the ornamental sweet potatoes. The ones for the veggie garden rooted and sprouted right away and I had to give them away. I'm thinking about using the edibles next year rather than go through the headaches I've gone through this year. I even went to the nursery and bought an Ace of Spades to be sure I had one and only got two small cuttings from it and now the mother has died. Really strange....

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Yeah! I have one sprout!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL The joy of sprouting taters! When you don't want to, the things grow on their own. :) I finally have a single leaf coming off of Marguerite and the Blackies have several more. Wish they would hurry up, but with the cool weather I should be shocked they are doing ANYTHING!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

put a tiny amount of MG in the rooting water.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't own any. wah ha ha ha Dumb me has still tried to stay organic! LOL I do splurge for miracle grow potting soil for the brugs and ears. Guess it is high time I just buy the blue stuff! LOL

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I kept my potatoes in sand in the garage all winter. I dug them up in autumn and thought I would try to save them and grow again next year.
In spring I dug them out of the sand and placed them in a pot with potting soil covering them. Then I sat them outdoors by a bush for protection and promptly forgot what was in that pot. I was surprised a few weeks later to see it was the Blackie. She is now growing strong and looks like I will have a hanging basket again this year.
I can't grow things indoors as the cats get into them. I now have the few houseplants on top of the fridge and high on the entertainment center. I need to start cultivating plants and animals that are compatable. Sigh.
Well, I know this is an old post, but I don't come over here and look around nearly as much as I would like to.
Windy

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Windy, when my cat (years ago) kept getting into my flower pots, I bought some spray repellent for cats and sprayed the soil. She never bothered a pot of dirt again. I was at the point that either the plants had to go or the cat and was seriously looking for a home for her. She lived here happily for many years after that.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

You could try these to keep cats out of plants... non-toxic!
http://top140.com/shopping/Cat-Scat.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.