Collecting Columbine Seeds

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Tried to use the 'search' function, but it's temporarily disabled right now.

So can someone just let me know ... when collecting columbine seeds, do I need to wait until the seed pod is completely brown and totally opened, showing the seeds ... or can I just cut off the stem with the seed pod just starting to open (as shown in the pic), and let it dry in a paper bag?

Thumbnail by jules_jewel

They don't open completely in my experience, perhaps a little bit more than on your photo but not like say a Viola pod. I wait until the pods are completely brown and then cut the stems and shake the seeds out in a paper bag.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Baa, you're right, they do open up a little bit more than what's in my picture, but by the time I get to them, half the seeds are already gone. I was hoping to be able to collect them at this earlier stage where I can collect practically all the seeds. However, this is not as important to me as the seeds being viable.

So you wouldn't collect them at this stage yet? I have already collected about a dozen of these pods at this stage, do you think they will be viable, or should I just toss those, and wait for more mature pods?

Thanks!

You could always tie a paperbag over the top.

From what I can see in your pic there are some ripe seeds in there already so the pods you've collected are probably fine. What I find with mine (and since I'm in S. England we have a lot of moisture) the greener pods tend to give soft seed and a few ripe, whereas the browner pods give the juicy shiny black seeds in abundance. I suppose, liek with all things, it's what works best for you!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, what a perfect explanation, Baa, that makes so much sense, to wait and get the browner pods ... and I like your idea about the paper bag over the top. I'm going to go and put one on them right now.

I failed to mention that my sweet doggie walks by them everyday several times and insists on walking so close to them, that she brushes up against them and most of the seeds fall out. Hope the paper bag works, hehe.

Thanks again,

Julie

Thumbnail by jules_jewel
Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

From the looks of that particular pod, if I were you (and I'm not...lol), I would collect them once they get to that point. I've taken seeds from colmbine from at least the point where you showed in the photo. I can see they are dark in the picture...so they should be mature. You might get a few somewhat green seeds, but I would bet most of them are fine.

I always try to wait until seeds are about ready to fall ono their own...but I guess it's hard to catch them at the right time sometimes. good luck :)

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I may have to do just that, Jon ... what I've been doing, because the paper bag is just not working for me. The wind keeps blowing it off right now ... there's so much wind. I guess I'll get plenty of seeds that are mature this way and that should work.

As this picture shows, I've been cutting the pods and a bit of the stem off, as in the first picture, and putting them head down into a Mason jar. Then I take them inside, where it is much dryer due to the air conditioner, and leave the jar open, so that they can dry. I just keep adding to it as the pods get to that point. When all is pretty dry, I'll remove the pods. Do you think they continue to mature in the mason jar as they dry? Or do they just mature when they're still on the plant? Geee, sorry for being so technical ... I just like to know.

Thumbnail by jules_jewel
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

If the seeds are black,they should be mature.From the looks of your picture,you're doing everything right.

Something about columbine you should know,they cross pollinate with each other.If you have more than one color planted in your garden,you most likely will have some surprises when these seeds bloom.

If you are planning on trading,you might want to note that you could have mixed colors in the seed pack.If you are drying them all together,It won't matter,as you are creating a colorful mix anyway.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh good melody, thanks for letting me know I'm doing everything right . I didn't realize that they cross pollinate though. But that's OK with me ... I like colorful mixes and surprises are great too ;) You can never be disappointed with columbines. Good to know for trading purposes. But I only have the one color, yellow, for right now.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5a)

Do you want to trade, I would like some yellow columbine seeds?
Lori

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Sure I'll trade. These yellow columbines are called "Texas Gold". (Aquilegia chrysantha hinckleyana 'Texas Gold' )
Here's a link for more info: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/cemap/columbine/columbine.html

Send me an email with your address.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.