climbing hydrangea doesn't bloom

Cedar Grove, NJ

It is about 4 years old, little direct sun but bright dappled shade. Is otherwise very healthy. Do these need more light that I thought they did?

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ilex - - dappled shade should be ok. These vines can take years to bloom, so hopefully in time it will flower.

By the way, how tall is yours? They need to be about 6-7 ft high before they bloom. Here in Tennessee, they start to bloom in late June. Keep your figures crossed and maybe this will be the year.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

PATIENCE is the key word! I have waited 5-7yrs before they bloomed. This is the 1st year that mine are blooming. They are growing on the Northside of my split rail fence and I hope that one day, they will be completely covered in blossoms.

You might want to give them Miracid fertilizer, to increase there growth & vigor. Remember that Hydrangea are acid loving plants.

They are putting forth all their energy into growing larger plants with stronger roots systems. Just keep them moist & feed them in the Spring & Fall.

It is well worth the wait! You only have a year or so before they begin to flower. They will be rewarding you with beautiful blooms in the not to distant future! :~)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

They are slow to start with but watch out once they get their feet!! They can also be grown in most soils sandy or clay!! I know this because I had one I grew in my English garden back home - pure alkaline, sandy soil (with amendments) and it must have grown about 40 feet. Just hang in there - it's worth the wait. :-)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i'm so lucky. i bought a gallong size and planted it last spring. this year there is actually buds on it. i'm hoping it blooms, but for now i'm just pleased that it is doing well in its location.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

At my other place I had a beautiful Hydrangea Petiolarius.. I don't remember that it took so long to bloom. When it bloomed the fragrance was wonderful. So I brought a rooted piece of it her to this place almost 8 years ago. Must be the soil, it is only about 2 feet long and no sign of any bloom. So I bought a 1 gal. one last year and planted it where i thought it would be happy. It died!! So that wasn't bad enough when I was in Oregon a couple of weeks ago I bought another 1 gal. one this one has slightly variegated leaves. I have been so busy planting smaller plants that is still waiting. Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.