May's treasures

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

This is my second year now in our new home and new habitat and I eagerly awaited the re-appearance of the lady slipper orchids in our woods. Since we have experienced a wet spring they are putting on a wonderful show and I can hardly believe my luck at owning these treasures. Other wild plants that are very much in evidence now are the blueberries, rhododendrons and honeysuckle. Lots of new, unfamiliar plants hitherto unseen by me before, are also prolific and I can't wait to identify them. This is the best time of the year and I am like a child in a candy store!! :-)

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

If you would like to make a trade for some lady slippers, email me - I know, it's a slim chance, but I just had to ask! Do you have pictures of your wildflowers to post for all to see?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Kay sorry for the delay in replying. Sorry too that I have to disappoint you. I just cannot bring myself to dig them up. It's almost like hallowed ground if you know what I mean!! :-)

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

That must be just soooo exciting Louisa!
So you're on acid soil with blueberries and rhodos?
Do you know which sp the honeysuckle is? Is it the same as in the UK?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi phil - yesterday I received a surprise in the mail from Kathleen - the Audobon book on wild flowers. Isn't she a darling!!! I was thrilled!! So now I can identify the rhodo - it's Rhodo periclymenoides (Pinxter Flower; Pink Azalea). It's not as sumptious a flower as the ones that I remember back home. Another little beauty that has me ga-ga is the Houstonia caerulea (Bluett) and there are masses of it on my land. It's such a delight and I found this image of it but it really doesn't do it justice - the colour I mean. I really do need a digital camera!! :-)

http://www.delawarewildflowers.org/houstonia_caerulea.html

Thanks for the link to the Bluetts, they're gorgeous
Digital cameras aren't necessarily the best for true colours, some colours they portray well, others not.
Mine has trouble with blue and purple

what a wonderful gift!!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Something else I just found out. The 'cupids dart' that I love so much turns out to be chicory. Maybe it's the same plant.

They probably do look a bit similar, but I've always known Catananche as Cupid's Dart, whereas Chicory is Chicorium
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&q=Catananche

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&q=Chicory

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I knew of Catananche but had never seen the Chicory flower before now. There is a remarkable similarity except that the Cupid's dart has flowers and buds all along the stem and each flower only lasts a day but actually the whole plant is in bloom for an exceptional period. The higways around here are a breathtaking sight when adorned with these lovely plants. Thanks for the links - great stuff!!

Yes, they're both lovely
I've been with people I thought knew their wild flowers, but chicory has caught them out - it's definitely 'garden worthy'

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

phil I'm like a child all over again, discovering new gems almost every day and no, I don't know too much about the flora and fauna in the States but I'm so enjoying the learning process. One of the most impressive plants here is the Joe Pye weed. I once saw it for sale in a nursery in England and wanted it so badly!! lol - they grow like 'weeds' here!! :-) And the honeysuckle that I grew over the pergola (also back home) - Lonicera sempervirens grows wild in my woods but needs checking it's so invasive!! So my wildflower meadow has begun and this weekend hope to erect a small fence and gate to divide it from the rest of the garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.