Info on Kellogg Products - new gardener

Hi Everybody,
I put some Kellogg's products into a garden bed I'm creating for organic vegetable gardening -- I'm trying to amend some soil we had delivered that is very sandy... We have a new house/garden, and the compost pile I started 2 weeks ago is nowhere near ready, and I'm getting impatient! Do you know anything about this company or its products? They claim to be natural.

Are any of these Kellogg soil amendment products 100% safe to use in an organic vegetable garden? Can I use Concentrated Nitrohumus? All Natural Planting Mix? I don't want to use anything that may have traces of sewage in it.

Thanks,

Julie

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi, Julieb63. To be honest, I'm not familiar with Kellogg products, so I looked them up: http://www.kellogggarden.com/company/history.html

However, they don't really say what's in their Nitrohumus product (but they do limit their recommendation to "landscape plants", and here's some information that may help:

Kellogg "... is a private company which purchases composted biosolids from the sanitary district of Los Angeles, California..."
(http://www.metrocouncil.org/environment/Biosolids/BiosolidsUS.htm) Interesting that this product was originally used to revitalize citrus orchards back in the '20s, but nowadays is probably not considered safe for use on those same orchards.

Their all-purpose mix does appear to be suitable for edible gardening, although they don't claim to be suitable for certified organic gardening (which is what I'm guessing you mean by an organic vegetable garden.) Their site says it "...Contains all-organic, long-lasting ingredients including chicken manure, bat guano, worm castings and kelp meal."

Others here can give you better advice on whether a bed amended with sewage sludge can be safely used for some edible vegetables.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

"...biosolids from the sanitary district of Los Angeles," means "solid waste," which in the language of Departments of Sanitation, I believe, is processed human waste (at least these are the words used in NYC).

I could, however, be mistaken.

I suggest sending them an email requesting a guaranteed analysis of their finished products and for a clear definition of their source materials.

Adam.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You're right, Adam. In our state (NC), sewage waste/bio-solids can be used on field crops for animal food (corn/silage) but NOT for human consumption.

Sewage sludge contains high amounts of metals...NOT good for us!

And now, guess I better go read up on the links given above...bet there are new ideas and info there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.