Hop field in Kent

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Part of the survey I was involved in today included an organic farm where hops are still grown. Since my last visit they had strung the poles, which always fascinates me. Last year I was lucky enough to be crossing a hop garden while the farmer was actually doing the stringing, though he was using a long pole to reach the high knots - at one time they used to use stilts, now that was a sight!

The vines are only just showing above the ground at the moment, but it's amazing how quickly they shoot up the strings once they get going.

Thumbnail by philomel

Here's another view

Thumbnail by philomel

To complete the Kentish picture here's some appleblossom from the same farm

Thumbnail by philomel
Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'll have to show this one tyo my hubby,he comes from Kent, and remembers going hop picking with his Mum and her friends.I've read some of the books, fiction admittedly,about what the hop pickers used to get up to,and about when it changed to automated picking.

I did a little as a child - so don't know about the carryings on Sue, but I do remember how they stain your hands a rich browny yellow colour.....and the smell is something else! Love it or loath it lol! (I was never very keen)

I survey this area once a month (haven't found any dormice YET)
The hops are beginning their journey up the strings now...

Thumbnail by philomel
Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

We had a brewery in town here, and on brwing days the smell of the hops would spread for miles.A distinct aroma.

Yes I lived a couple of hundred yards from an oast where they used to dry the hops at one time - and there are local breweries. Whiffeeeeeeee LOL

I forgot to keep this thread updated, so here're the hops in June

Thumbnail by philomel

...and now it has come full circle and the hops have been harvested
This was taken at the end of October in the season of mists and mellow fruitfullness LOL. I remember scrumping some delicious Conference pears that day :)

Thumbnail by philomel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.