Planting New Fruit Trees

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gott'a question for y'all experienced fruit growers! When is the best time to plant new trees, fresh from the nursery? Spring or Fall?? Although everything that I have heard and read, it doesn't make all that much difference.
However, my personal, novice feeling is that young plantings have a better chance of survival when planted in the Spring. That way they can become established and strengthened furing the Summer months. Have also planted in the Fall only to have the tree die during the winter, or show a feeble effort of growth the next Spring...and die anyway!

What's the best way to keep birds from getting to the cherries before you can????

Bought trees from Stark's Nurseries, but not too satisfied!
Some of their trees came with a very sparse root system. I realize that they will send replacements if the tree dies, but who wants to go through that "hassle". (Did it once.)

Have bought and hung the TangleFoot maggot traps (red balls) and hung them on my cherry trees....which are in full bloom now. The traps seem to be working very well!!

This message was edited Wednesday, Apr 23rd 4:59 AM

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Hi there- definately plant them now. Everyone has their opinions on this, but it is safe to say that if you have young plants they will do better in the ground than in pots.
Our cherry tree produces so many cherries that the birds are allowed some. But, especially on a small tree, try nets. The same idea used for figs or grapes if you have seen them. At some point your tree may get to big for a net, then someone else will have to answer this. We tried the tinfoil pans in the tree with no success, the birds are smart!

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you Dennis.....We used to net the cherry trees but they have gotten too big. Guess with a "Herculean" effort
it could still be done! Thought that maybe someone has other ideas on what works and what doesn't. (Like those inflatable owels that one hangs in the trees. Haven't tried that yet!) The birds pick the sweet cherry tree clean, but the pie cherry tree we do share with them, since the tree produces more than enough.

As for our two fig trees...we are constantly battling the squirrles and aunts. TangleFoot takes care of the aunts, but squirrels can really climb and jump!! The squirrels also love our one and only peach tree.

We also have a Damson plum tree....nothing seems to bother that very much. The fruit makes wonderful Danson jam!!!
The fruit right off of the tree is not as sweet as the other fruits. Have also tried growing the Italian plums but couldn't keep them alive...they always die on me.

Your thought on planting new stock confirms my ideas on the matter!!

Hedy :-))

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

New to gardening and without knowing what i was doing i purchased about 20 dwarf fruit trees (all different varieties) along with a bunch of other stuff. everything s/b here in about two weeks. But i just heard that walnut trees near your fruit trees will kill them? My husband has cut down our walnut trees to make space for the fruit trees and i'm wondering if I should plant them there? He just cut the walnuts down yesterday! Or is this even true? Any help appreciated!!! varieties include apple, peach, pear, elderberry, and sweet n sour cherry.

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

On the morning of the 7th I ordered some plum trees and two Elberta peach trees. Just before noon on the 8th they were on my front steps. Nice healthy specimens, well packaged(bare root), with good root systems!!! (Also leaflet that covered every phase for planting.)

Wonderful service and beautiful merchandise. Look here:

http://www.boyernurseries.com/

Had to wait until DH got home from work and we planted two of the trees. The rest we stood upright in a large tub of water and we will finish when he gets home from work tonight. (Hope we did the right thing by holding them in water.)

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

Hope the tub of water worked for you on your fruit trees mine got here today and I also put them in a tub of water til DH can get home and help plant them. All look good except I'm not sure about the elderberry they look kinda like sticks with roots but the rest look healthy with good root systems. I definately ordered too many at once it'll take us all day to plant them. How are yours doing now? Tracy

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hello Tracy.....My trees are doing fantastic! The weather here in Jersey has been exceptionally good for new plantings. Guess you and your DH already know how to plant.
I always find it interesting and informative as to how others do it....and maybe pick up a new tip, or two.

When we plant we make sure that the hole is adequate for accommodating the complete root system. Plenty of loose soil around them along with compost from our established, well rotted supply mixed in. Water, so that the dirt is well between the roots with no airpockets. lastly, when all the dirt is in, another good watering. Also, in anticipation of hot, dry weather....plenty of mulch.

The weather here has been damp, cloudy, and rainy. However, we will make sure to use lots of mulch because in the summers past we have had long spells of drought.

Much GOOD LUCK with your new plantings! Going overboard in the ordering department is soooo easy to do!!!! (When one thinks of all that lucious fruits and what can be done with them in the kitchen!) I have to plead GUILTY, also!!! LOL
(Poor DH is stuck with all the strenuous labor!)

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

P.S. Where did you get your elderberry plants from?
Had a former boss who grew elderberries for wine making!

Be sure to keep us posted as to how they are doing.
:-))

This message was edited Sunday, May 25th 7:03 AM

This message was edited Sunday, May 25th 7:05 AM

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

Got the elderberry from plantranch and DH says they are supposed to look like that something about them being bushes not trees and that the new growth was completely cut back and shipped in dormant state hoping they fill out quickly Thanks for the info about how to plant - I really don't know first hand verrrry new to gardening. But everyone at DG has been so helpful I'm hoping all my plants have a nice transition to there new homes. I'll send some pics as soon as we plant. (My brother-n-law uses the elderberry for winemaking that's why we got those too) My DH is feeling very put upon at the moment, also! We just bought this place last year and he says I'm trying to make it look like we've been here 5 or 6 years all in one growing season. (Hehehehe) I'm from the city and he's country mountaintop born and bred, I've never even planted much in the city because I was always working and never home. I'm having so much fun, but I didn't realize how much extra work I was creating for him. I've decided to give him a break and not order too much more before we get the stuff I've got settled in. Tracy

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

You both have your work cut out for you!!!! If I remember correctly those elderberry bushes grow quite tall and full.
It is a very useful plant, medicinally and for food.

ELDERBERRY JELLY:

3 cups prepared juice, about 3 pounds fully ripe berries
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4½ cups sugar
1 box Sure Jell Fruit Pectin
½ tea. margarine or butter

Remove stems from elderberries. Place in saucepan and thoroughly crush. Heat gently until juice starts to flow. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 min. Place in jelly bag and let drip. When dripping has almost ceased, press gently. Measure 3 cups into 6 or 8-qt. saucepot. (If needed, add up to ½ cup water for exact measure.) Add lemon juice.

Measure sugar and set aside. Mix pectin into juice. Add margarine. Place over high heat; and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Immediately stir in all sugar, Bring to a full rolling boil and boil 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off foam with metal spoon. Ladle into sterilized jars, filling to within 1/8” of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with lids. Follow water bath method recommended by USDA. Makes about 4¾ cups or 5 jars.

http://www.allsands.com/Health/Alternative/elderberrymedic_yan_gn.htm

Wish you much good luck in your endeavor!!!!

Hedy:-))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.