how many purlins?

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i still dont have my cover on but hope to soon, maybe this weekend..heres my question, my g/h is 12wideX 8tallX 24long.......the kit came with only one purlin which runs down the center.......is that enuff?...i can get more since the cover is not on yet, or is it possible to add them after the cover is on?..im getting impatient and if i can get by with one purlin for now i will do that....btw, anyone wanna come help with the covering?..lol...:)

thanks in advance
cindy

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The one down the center should be plenty. We only have three on our 25' & 30' wide houses.
Bernie

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

good deal......i feel lots better when i get positive feedback.....lol...thanks for making me feel better, but i still got lots of little things to do before it is 'done'.....:(

cindy

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

I want to ask, "What's a purlin?" but I'm afraid Aotearoa will answer, "A clam shell" but I'll ask anyhow. What's a purlin?

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

im not sure how to explain it except to say it runs down the middle of my greenhouse, attached to the top of the hoops...maybe someone else can explain it better than me....lol

cindy

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hah! "A clam shell."
Padre, a purlin is an extra support that runs length-ways across the hoops (or rafters) for extra support. (Actually, the 'purlin' mentioned above that runs 'down the center' would be considered the "ridge beam"...purlins run off to each side of the ridge beam.)

Cindy...I'm sure you'll be fine. A greenhouse of that width doesn't need a lot of extra support. Hope all is going well w/your ghouse. Sure is a lot to do, eh?

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

yeah lots to do especially when the guy i hired to do it dont seem to want to finish it.......now its suppose to rain all weekend so there goes more time, along with the rain, to the ditch...im not a happy camper, or i guess i should say 'gardener'...oh well, eventually it will be up, i just hope it stops raining for the following weekend, thats the only time we have any spare time, which isnt much...lol...:)

cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.