Favourite books on fruit culture and varieties?

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Does anyone have any books they can reccomend, specifically with diseases, varieties, culture/pruning etc etc?
I've been searching the garden centers but haven't found much. I do like the "Fruit tree expert" I think it's called. I wish the pests were real photographs not sketches. Also it is lacking big time in varieties. Also found some good info in the Plant Care Manual, by Buczacki. However he doesn't really say how to grow peaches/plums/cherries as trees, just espalier/bush. I have mostly young trees of many types, and I do want to grow them into small tree form.
One nursery had a book with thousands of varieties, but I didn't catch the name and it was bought at a garage sale!
Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks a lot, Dennis

Glen Arm, MD(Zone 7a)

For pests and diseases my best references are The American Phytopathological Societies compendiums. Great photos! For varieties I've used our extension services but they haven't been much use. Local orchardists and local nurseries have been my best sources. For pruning I always look to rootstock first and how it lends itself to specific types of pruning. Most nurseries will send you infomation on differing types of pruning. Do a search for fruit trees nurseries and request a catalog.

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Dennis,

I use an old book by Rodale Press called Organic Orcharding by Gene Logsdon. My favorite pruning book is Pruning Simplified but I can't locate it to find the author. If I do, I will let you know. It is extremely easy to understand and learn from.

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Thanks to both of you!
I have a book- I think it's called Successful Berry Growing, also by Gene Logsdon, it's my best source for fruit so far.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.