Petunia seedlings

A friend has had very bad luck with planting petunia seeds this year.

Are there some general steps to getting them started and alive to planting time....

He may have been watering too much - could this be a problem?

Dave

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Petunia seeds need light to germinate, so you would sow the seeds on top of the moist soil mixture. After sowing, you would need to cover the flat with saranwrap or a dome lid and put in bright light. Overwatering could be the problem.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I sow my seeds mixed with coarse sand to spread the seeds evenly. They are quite small, so it is easy to overplant. I mist my domed flats from the top rather than water underneath. I also used sterilized seed starter and wash all containers with bleach water to prevent the petunias from dampening off.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I have had very high Petunia germination with the Park-Starts seed starter. Just drop the seed into the cylinder of peat moss (18 cylinders/start block), water from below, cover, and in 5 to 7 days the seedlings appear. When ready, transplant the entire cylinder with plant to the ground and/or pot. No transplant shock and a minimium of space used (18 plants will start in a 2 1/2" x 3" x 6" block.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.