Mina Lobata (exotic love vine) how to plant?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I've got some seedlings going here (yeah!) ... but since I'm a newbie to this ... my question is: do I HAVE TO thin these??

There's about 6 to 8 seedlings per pot. Or can I just plant it as is? I would love to see a lush, thick growth of this with lots of blossoms, but I'm not sure that if I plant them like this, they might 'choke' themselves being too close to each other. Can anyone help me please?

Thumbnail by jules_jewel
Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't know about the plant you have listed here...but I routinely plant seeds (directly in the ground) and let them go on their own - no thinning. Things like Rudbeckia (Black-Eyed Susan) seem to do very well like that...even though they are "crowded". There may be some cases where it's beneficial to thin out young seedlings...but as far as my experience goes, it sometimes doesn't matter. I would think plants that get pretty big would benefit from thinning...since they need more room to mature properly. Otherwise they may be a little spindly. Seems like vines would do ok without much thinning if they are known to be a vigorous grower anyway. I know that's not a definitive answer..but I hope that helps :) It seems, in gardening there is always an exception to most any rule.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh good, because I am ready to plant them just as they are! I thought it would be OK too, but I've never done this before. Thanks!

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I think you should separate those seedlings, they grow so big, but if you leave them like that, they might now grow so big, and might not bloom.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the advice, Jon & Evert!

I'll try both theories, and see what happens. It'll be fun to see what happens in each case. :)

I'll keep y'all posted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.