How to grow apricot/peach in tree form?

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Several of my books suggest espalier against a wall, or as a multistemmed shrub. I really want to grow them as a tree, such as an apple or pear. Aside from staking is there any tricks I should know? Thanks.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Dennis, you should just be able to plant them out as you would any tree.
I put a stake rightnext to the trunk and tie nylon hose or something soft around the stake and tree, mainly to support it from wind. (I used to put 3 guy-wires coming off the trunk and going out to stakes in the ground to support it from all directions, but then it became such a hassle to always mow and trim around those stakes, and always running into the wires!) It also doesn't hurt to put a collar of some kind around the base of the tree, and up about 18 inches. I don't know what kind of critters ya'll have up there but often-times rabbits and mice will chew the bark off the trees, especially during the winter months. I'm sure you can buy "official" tree collars but I'm a miser and choose to use flexible vinyl corrugated pipe, the kind you use to drain water away from your house or other bldg. You can slit this down one side, open it up and put it around the trunk.

Does that help any?

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

That helps. I guess I know the answer to my own question- just let it grow as a tree. Well I am wobdering at what point to cut out the leader for pickable height branching, and how far apart branch spacing etc. These trees are at such an age that I can do anything if I don't wait too long. Dennis

Glen Arm, MD(Zone 7a)

You may want to prune it to open vase.Airflow is more important than trying to shape to a traditional tree shape. it's easier to maintain it's height with open vase. you'll be removing 90% of the new wood every year anyway.Head the leader back to 2' if it's a new tree and if there are 4-6 nodes below your cut.Only keep branches that are on opposite sides of the tree to each other.Try to balance the load on the trunk.You want to create it's scaffold branches for the future.Best to keep the ground bare beneath the tree.Keeps critters from the trunk and less competition for the tree

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.