Catapillars!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've got 3 webs of catapillars that have just hatched out on my apple trees.They are low enough to reach with my trusty butane torch,but what would I do if I couldn't reach them?My trees are in full bloom and the bees and a few hummers are pollinating like crazy.I don't want to kill the good guys.Torching them seems like the only option.....yeah,Shoe,I'll save you a few of the crispiest...I know you like yours well done.

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Melody,

I use BT on all of my worms. (Actually I haven't seen any lately!) I get most of my supplies from Gardens Alive, but this I got from the nursery. What BT esentially does is give the worm a virus that stops it from eating and it srivels up. BT is not supposed to hurt anyone injesting it etc... and it only works on worms. I have used BT for years with great results. I know they make many kinds of BT that target certain types of worms, so you may want to check them out, but I just use the generic BT and it seems to work just fine.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yummmm..."Blackened Caterpillar served on the Nest"! thanks, Mel!

A good pump-up sprayer should shoot a stream ten to fifteen feet so you can really soak the nest. If it is any higher then maybe stand on the back of your truck, or a ladder?

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Same here- go with BT. Here we buy it as BTK (K=kerstaki). All caterpillars, even the good ones die so just spray the plants that need spraying. Takes a few days to notice results, but the caterpillars quit eating almost immed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.