Can we talk irrigation?!?

Howdy y'all! First time posting-just found this site last night. Gardening in the 'burbs of Atlanta, GA!

Last summer I tried soaker hosing my garden. Much to my dismay by beautiful cucumber vines started turning brown-once I discovered that my soaker hose was no longer soaking it was to late-the cuces were toast. The hose worked great for about 3-4 weeks.

I don't want to sprinkler my garden so I'm looking for ideas-I've just been reading about a "trickling sytem" but not quite sure what's involved with that. Ideas anyone?!?

Many thanks!
Jolene

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Welcome to the Garden Jolene :)

I have tried a lot of different ways to irrigate my veggie garden; I have very heavy clay soil so drip irrigation isn't a good choice. For the plants that need a good drink of water like tomatoes and peppers, I tried sinking a half-gallon container beside the plants to deep-water. That didn't work well either -- the clay just clogged up the pin-holes. Bigger holes just let the water run right out the soil.

So I haven't found an automatic system for my veggie garden either, so I will be watching for other people's ideas.

Lately I have been using the above-ground soaker hoses, turned on very low for an hour twice a day. That seems about the only way to make sure my thirsty crops get their water. Lots of time required, though.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I designed and installed what has become a very elaborate irrigation system at our Spring Hill,FL home. Programmable timers and electric valves are available to automate any of a huge variety of watering options. try this link for more info (maybe more than you want)
http://www.rainbird.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.