How my hoop house is put toghther

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here are pictures of how my hoop house is constructed.Hope it helps....instructions are pretty vague on these things,so we winged it and it looks pretty good.

Here is the front.The lath covering the staples is on.This keeps wind from pulling at the staples and tugging loose.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is an inside corner showing the frame for the end.This wood is screwed directly to the hoop.We drove stakes in the ground to use as braces on the uprights and for strength on the board that goes across the bottom.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is an inside view of the top of the hoop and the door frame.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is a view of the inside.Note that I have wood boxing in the bottom and where the hoops bend.This is bolted directly to the metal posts with lag bolts that go completely through the post and the wood.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is a closeup of the frame on the side where the wood is bolted to the frame.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

This end hasn't got lath on the outside yet.See how I have lapped the plastic.The end plastic is underneath the plastic for the roof.This way,the roof plastic is covering the raw edges of wood.I also have trimmed this plastic to look nice when I put the lath on....we didn't dare cut it this short to begin with.

When you are bolting the wood on and screwing it together,make sure you have smooth headed fasteners that won't rub on the plastic.If you have any doubts that something might rub,cover whatever it is with a little duct tape.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's a closeup showing how we put the corners toghther and lapped the plastic.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

This end just needs the lath put on it to cover staples and secure the plastic from the roof.The roof won't come off,as I've used the Wire Lock,but it looks nicer without it flapping.

The end has the frame for my ventelation fan that we haven't put in place yet.I'll trim the plastic and fold it in so there won't be any flapping edges there also.

My ventelation equipment is Schaffer.

Thumbnail by melody
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

melody, these pictures are priceless!!!! thank you for taking time, this will help us a lot!

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Melody, thanks so much for the photos! I've learned quite a bit. Can't wait to get mine up. Tig's right, priceless.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

One thing to add...lay this out just like you are laying out a foundation on a building.Mine is _maybe_ 1/4" off square,and there aren't many dwellings that you can say that about. Also,your upright posts that hold the bows,mine are level and on grade.You can lay a level between each post and it is dead on.We did just that.The posts are 5 feet apart on my house and we laid a 6'level on top of each post and it's neighbor.It may not be necessary,as I've seen several houses that aren't even close to level that it doesn't seem to affect,but why not do it neatly and right while you are at it?

I wish I'd have taken shots as we put it up,but never thought to.

Don't hesitate to ask for clairification and more pictures if you need help.

One other thing....get rid of your grass inside by scraping it off.If you don't when you put your weed block on it,it will stink as it rots...and I mean_really_stink!Got that tip first hand from a small herb nursery nearby.She said it stunk for nearly a year.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Great job melody! Next time we have a greenhouse to put up we'll call. Now to fill it with plants!
ßernie

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Oh,I've got the plants already...been selling them and giving them away like kittens.They're running me out of my house.I was hoping for a functional greenhouse by the time they got big enough to need it,but the winter just kept hanging on,and the wind never let up till Saturday. C'est la vie.

I'll be up and running this fall with ornamental kale and fresh salad greens for the farmer's market though.Then look out next spring when Homestead Heirlooms has it's grand opening and heirloom tomatoes are everywhere.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

melody...tig is right, your pics are priceless......i am gonna send to the guy who is putting up my greenhouse......thank you so very much..if you were closer id ask you to come put mine up ....lol..thanks a bunch, this will help like you wouldnt beleive...:)

made my day(now can you make it not rain this sunday, they are calling for it...wwwwaaahhhhhh!!!!)

cindy:)

This message was edited Wednesday, Apr 16th 12:48 AM

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

melody, where did you get your kit?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

A local garden center got it for me.I checked all over the web,called Cala and talked to her and Bill for hours and researched this for weeks.

The local guy actually had the best price,but I suspect that he got it wholesale and didn't take a full mark up.It's not actually a kit though.It wasn't an actual greenhouse unit.Everything was ordered 'a la carte.

It is 20x40 with a vent fan and shutter unit...with thermostats.Two circulating fans that move air inside the house,a fan to inflate the plastic,enough UV plastic to cover it twice,Wire Lock to clamp the tunnel plastic down, and a gas heater.All of the hardware to put it together with except for the wood.It was delivered right to the site and unloaded where I wanted it...all for 2700.00

There's a million places that sell these and as many prices...I feel that I got lucky.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for posting those pictures for us Melody. I have been waiting to see what your greenhouse looked like. I am tickled pink for you to finally have it up and functioning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.