rats in compost bin?

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I think that I've got rats in my compost bins, and am not too sure what to do about it.
they are the large black plastic completely enclosed ones, so how it got in I'm not sure.I'm too scared to take the lid off in case it feels trapped and flies at me, hubby's a bit wary too, I watched him whilst he put grass clippings in last week! i'd told him that i thought that it was inhabited, at which he just snorted , and looked at me as if I was daft. But when we lifted the lid to put in the first load of grass clippings, there was a big rustling, and something scarpered down the side.He put that lid on very quickly...
I don't want to use poisons as I have cats, and they've bought them in before.
traps are the only other thing I can think of, but not keen on using,I couldn't go to empty it.
Could they contaminate the compost?I know you can get a deseise from their urine (Weirs i think it's called)

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Yes, sue Weils disease can be life threatening if it's not caught fairly early. Flu like symptoms
Most councils will deal with problem rats, many for free. Pest controllers should know how to place poison baits so that other animals and humans aren't at risk
But if you think it's only one or two at the moment a strategically positioned trap might work.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Sue I used to get alot of rats in my compost bin. They used to be a real problem round here as the school nearby used to dump waste cooked food in the brook. But Philomel is right get the council in if they are problem. They helped our area immensely.

Ivinghoe Beds, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yay, rats used to congregate on top of my plastic compost bins. I knew that, because their droppings were totally unlike any other animal's - or bird's.

In a prior incarnation, I was a PR officer for a pest control company. I could distinguish Ship Rat droppings (nasty) from Black Rat droppings (rare) from common Grey Rat droppings, in a flash. But perhaps you don't wish to know that...

Solution: lay some trays, where the rats congregate, of cement or plaster of paris, mixed with sugar.

Put a tray of water nearby.

The rats eat, drink, can't vomit - and turn into bricks.

It does work. Truly.

Moreover, it's a lot safer than laying rat poison.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I've not heard of that one John - sounds a brilliant wheeze lol

thanks for that, I'll give yours a go John,will I find sculptured rats in certain poses all over my garden? give Ivan Hicks a run for his money!!...
hubby and friends went up there yesterday ,armed with spade,with me and other spouse in tow as back-up..,nothing was to be found, just as well 'cos I threw a stone by the bin and I'd never heard two grown men scream like womwen before ...LOL..they decided at that point that they'd think of another solution.

Ivinghoe Beds, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yay, you can submit solidified rats for a Turner Prize. That will wipe the smile off Damien Hirst's face, methinks!

honestly sue are the men of dorset men or mice!!!! LOL
tell them to get a grip. :D

I'm on to that one thanks John....
would squeek give you a clue psilo?........ROFL

LOLOL !!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.