Pears-Duchess & Seckel

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We bought a Duchess pear tree about 3 years ago. It's loaded with blooms this year but now I read in some catalogs(including from the company we bought it from)that it needs a pollinator. When we bought it Duchess was listed as self fertile. Some companies still say it's self fertile but will produce a heavier crop with another pear to pollinate it. I'm thinking of a Seckel which is also supposedly self pollinating.
Does anyone have experience with either or both of these pears? Especially the Duchess by itself. I won't buy a second tree if we don't really need it.Thanks for the help.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm...EvaMae, Seckel is definitely self-pollinating, and will also pollinate other trees.
Not familiar with Duchess but will see what I can find out.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Seckel is a great pear.They're on the small side,or at least mine were.They have the most delicious taste.Someone said that they have the nickname 'honey pears' and it fits.

I had a dwarf tree,but it died of a blight of some sort last year.I cut the affected foliage out,but it finally got to the point that the tree had to be taken down.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I could find one with some size on it.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Is Barlett self pollinating.....?????

With my luck its not.......and its loaded with buds

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.